• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a workplace pension without excessive costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    And the others suggested on here are only 0.25% and if you only want to invest in a passive fund there's no other charges besides the fund charge (which you'd still pay through the IPSE pension too).
    Hmm... OK.

So if it's more expensive than anything else on the market, it makes you wonder why IPSE spent several months with Aegon designing a simple low cost solution specifically for freelance contractors, doesn't it... (And before some troll leaps up, IPSE don't make money on it at all, it's just another element in the membership package)

I neither know nor care, since my pensions are all sorted out. I only offered a suggestion. If someone wants to look further into the offer then I suggest they speak to IPSE.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      So, you pay HL 0.45% to hold your low cost Vanguard fund for you? I'd have a think about that for a second if I were you.
      Had no experience or knowledge up until a few months ago, so went with a known name that has a lot of information ready for me to absorb. Well aware (now) it's cheaper to through Vanguard direct, once I get a full grip on this side of my finances I'll be considering the best option for what I intend to do with my money.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
        Had no experience or knowledge up until a few months ago, so went with a known name that has a lot of information ready for me to absorb. Well aware (now) it's cheaper to through Vanguard direct, once I get a full grip on this side of my finances I'll be considering the best option for what I intend to do with my money.
        Vanguard do not do a SIPP, yet.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Vanguard do not do a SIPP, yet.
          Sorry wires crossed, they do an ISA now. I think a SIPP is coming this year.

Comment

I posted this link in another forum about the same topic.

I'd encourage you to visit. Its the best resource I've found on investment platform cost comparison.

Compare the UK’s cheapest online brokers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger22 View Post
              I have decided to set up a workplace pension to take advtantage of the associated pension tax breaks. My Accountants passed me onto their recommended Financial Advisor but his charges seem very excessive (4.5% of all money invested with them). All I want is a simple set up of the pension scheme so the company can start making contributions, potentially just with the pension provider I have already pre-chosen.

Can anyone advise how this can be done cheaply without incurring massive costs to a FA? Any recommendations?
              4.5% is very excessive. I pay 1% for my IFA to look after my investment/pension affairs which takes the hassle away from me. He is pretty proactive and does a good job for me. However I am in discussions to reduce this to <1%...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Hmm... OK.

So if it's more expensive than anything else on the market, it makes you wonder why IPSE spent several months with Aegon designing a simple low cost solution specifically for freelance contractors, doesn't it... (And before some troll leaps up, IPSE don't make money on it at all, it's just another element in the membership package)

I neither know nor care, since my pensions are all sorted out. I only offered a suggestion. If someone wants to look further into the offer then I suggest they speak to IPSE.
                I suspect Aegon's "corporate entertainment" budget is rather more generous than Cavendish Online's!

Regarding Hargreaves Lansdown, yes their charges are a bit excessive - they're roughly the same as the IPSE scheme but with a wider choice of funds - but I have heard it said that there are customer service arguments in favour of using them over the lowest of the low-cost brokers, viz. iWeb, Cavendish, etc. I'm not a customer, but I know quite a few otherwise reasonable people who are.

Also, if you don't have much money invested, then the difference between 0.45% and 0.25% isn't particularly important; when you get to the level where 0.2% would pay for a dirty weekend in Rhyl you might want to re-evaulate whether you're on the right platform. My criteria for switching, back when I did this, was that the cost of the switch needed to be less than the first year's cost saving in platform charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                  I suspect Aegon's "corporate entertainment" budget is rather more generous than Cavendish Online's!

Regarding Hargreaves Lansdown, yes their charges are a bit excessive - they're roughly the same as the IPSE scheme but with a wider choice of funds - but I have heard it said that there are customer service arguments in favour of using them over the lowest of the low-cost brokers, viz. iWeb, Cavendish, etc. I'm not a customer, but I know quite a few otherwise reasonable people who are.

Also, if you don't have much money invested, then the difference between 0.45% and 0.25% isn't particularly important; when you get to the level where 0.2% would pay for a dirty weekend in Rhyl you might want to re-evaulate whether you're on the right platform. My criteria for switching, back when I did this, was that the cost of the switch needed to be less than the first year's cost saving in platform charges.
                  Absolutely my take on it too. I also suspect that none of the low cost platforms will pay kick backs for referrals either. We'll never know because that kind of information is commercially sensitive, apparently. So when paying members ask they are told they are not going to find out.

Comment

Other considerations

There are a couple of other considerations here.
                    Firstly, HL don't charge for trading in funds so if you're investing in those and do it fairly regularly i.e. more than once a month then that can add up on other platforms that charge you per trade.
                    Also, HL provides a discount on many funds - somewhere around 0.2% which is reasonably significant against a 1% standard charge. Other providers don't do this.
                    Note that there isn't usually a discount on cheap trackers so it depends what you're invested in.

So, the calculation can be a bit more complex depending on what you invest in and how often.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                      There are a couple of other considerations here.
                      Firstly, HL don't charge for trading in funds so if you're investing in those and do it fairly regularly i.e. more than once a month then that can add up on other platforms that charge you per trade.
                      Also, HL provides a discount on many funds - somewhere around 0.2% which is reasonably significant against a 1% standard charge. Other providers don't do this.
                      Note that there isn't usually a discount on cheap trackers so it depends what you're invested in.

So, the calculation can be a bit more complex depending on what you invest in and how often.
                      I think you need to look a bit deeper than regurgitating HL's party line, to be honest. It isn't so simple. HL are fine as long as you don't invest in funds. Shares have a capped fee, so HL would be a good option. If you do invest in funds, and many of us do, then HL have your eyes out for the privilege.

Comment

Working...
                      X