• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband - Static IP Portion Claimable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband - Static IP Portion Claimable?

I currently have normal residential broadband and pay for it myself. I'm considering switching it to a business package because I want some static IP's for my lab/dev/poc work that I do.

The BT Business package I'm looking at is 5 quid difference, plus £11+VAT PCM for the IP's. Reckon I'd get away with claiming the difference, or maybe just the IP's?

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I currently have normal residential broadband and pay for it myself. I'm considering switching it to a business package because I want some static IP's for my lab/dev/poc work that I do.

The BT Business package I'm looking at is 5 quid difference, plus £11+VAT PCM for the IP's. Reckon I'd get away with claiming the difference, or maybe just the IP's?
    If you need it for business purposes, claim it. You have mobile 4G for your personal use and can always use the business broadband personally on an incidental basis.

Comment

I switched to a business contract in the company name (Virgin). Accountant was fine for me putting it through the company as it’s essential for my job and I work mostly from my dedicated home office. It does need to be in the company name though. £35/ month ex vat for 300Mb.

As mentioned above, like other assets and services placed at your disposal, personal use can be acceptable so long as it’s considered “not significant” or incidental. According to HMRC guidance this isn’t necessarily down to how much you use it for personal stuff but more to do with how essential it is for your job (same as laptops really).

There’s always the risk that HMRC could argue that personal use is not incidental - especially if it’s your only broadband connection at home and therefore there should be a BIK charge. It’s up to you how much of a risk you think that is. I can live with it.
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 9 July 2018, 17:48.

Comment

Zen internet do fixed IP for free.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Is it really worth the extra admin for the marginal saving?

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
            Is it really worth the extra admin for the marginal saving?
            What admin?

Comment

Putting through your books to save corporation tax and vat on the arse end of nothing?

It’s hardly worth making tax efficient for the pennies saved.

Comment

Putting through your books to save corporation tax and vat on the arse end of nothing?

It’s hardly worth making tax efficient for the pennies saved.
                Still waiting for you to explain what all this extra admin involved is.

I set up a recurring bill in FreeAgent, pay by direct debit, keep the VAT invoices and it gets included in my VAT return automatically which I submit with a click of a button. I basically do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I basically do nothing.
                  Other than .......

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I set up a recurring bill in FreeAgent, pay by direct debit, keep the VAT invoices and it gets included in my VAT return automatically which I submit with a click of a button.
                  Your choice fella. Personally don’t think it’s worth it to save less than I’d likely find rooting around down behind my sofa ....

Comment

Other than .......

Your choice fella. Personally don’t think it’s worth it to save less than I’d likely find rooting around down behind my sofa ....
                    So nothing I wouldn’t be doing anyway apart from the 30s it takes me to download the PDF invoice. Alright then.

Comment

Working...
                    X