• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nomadic life and contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nomadic life and contracting

I'm going to do short-term contracts (~3 months). I will live on Airbnb and short-term stays.
    In reality, I don't have the permanent address. However, I need to provide it as a company address. Can I use my ex-address and tell my ex-flatmate to store mail for me or this mail is very sensitive and I'm irresponsible here? Can I use my parent's foreign address?
    Additionally, short-term stays are quite pricey, can include them as expenses? Is, for example, subletting contract alright or it should be proper invoice?
    Last edited by qbait; 16 September 2018, 20:20.

If you mean somewhere to register your company then you can pay a small fee and you use the accountants address.

If you are talking general correspondence then it doesn't really matter where that is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And if you are living at the rented accommodation as your temp home then you can't claim the rent or food as an expense. It's your home.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd guess the biggest issue is proving your right to work here (or within the EU), which agencies or direct clients are required to check.

Not sure if just having an EU passport and established recent evidence of a fixed address to pass an identity background check would be good enough, or if you would have to prove a current fixed address one way or another.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

And lots of 3 monthers will start ringing alarm bells with potential recruiters. What are you going to do, turn down renewals?

Comment

I did something along these lines many years ago. I used Mailboxes etc as the company address and paid for their mail forwarding service.

Not a great idea to go bothering ex-flatmates with mail forwarding when you can sort it out for yourself.

If you use a mailbox address that looks like a residential one, you could use that to fiddle your expenses. But it would be fiddling.

Comment

Is your ex-flatmate the same guy who is going to buy your company a laptop at educational prices?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Is your ex-flatmate the same guy who is going to buy your company a laptop at educational prices?
                Sassy

Actually, I bought a mailbox at CompaniesMadeSimple, but they still need my address to send filtered important mail.
                Unfortunately, I can't give my parents a foreign address as I don't have a utility bill on my name there.

Anyway, thank you, guys.
                Last edited by qbait; 17 September 2018, 11:21.

Comment

(From memory) Every contract that I have taken up require my personal address, where I have needed to provide either of, a Utility Bill / Council Tax registration / Mobile phone account as part of the Agent's due-diligence. If you have none of the above, then I am not sure what type of contracts you intend to take up? This is particularly important in Financial Services / (Local) Government / Education and where there is an element of Security vetting.

What address do you use when opening a Business Banking Account? The Directors normally have to provide proof of residential address (Money Laundering).
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by qbait View Post
                    Sassy

Actually, I bought a mailbox at CompaniesMadeSimple, but they still need my address to send filtered important mail.
                    Unfortunately, I can't give my parents a foreign address as I don't have a utility bill on my name there.

Anyway, thank you, guys.
                    Use 1stformations.co.uk then open your mail and pdf it to you the same day - if you require a hard copy after that you can request it

Comment

Working...
                    X