• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NEST pension - should I do it???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEST pension - should I do it???

I have been thinking about sorting my pension for a while now but cant make my mind up which way to go! I have been thinking of the using the NEST pension set up by the government for self employed people. Not sure what peoples experience is with it and/or if anybody can share any advice? Much appreciated.

Originally posted by pbContract View Post
    I have been thinking about sorting my pension for a while now but cant make my mind up which way to go! I have been thinking of the using the NEST pension set up by the government for self employed people. Not sure what peoples experience is with it and/or if anybody can share any advice? Much appreciated.
    Have you read the pension sticky first?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...d-company.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NEST is an OK pension provider for the masses; you can get better and that will invest your funds more "rigorously" but if what you are looking for is a tick against the "does your company offer a pension" box then its an ok way to go.

Personally I'd look elsewhere - but a pension is always better than no pension - and it is insanely easy to setup

Comment

Thanks northernladuk for the following link. Lots of really helpful information here.

So, from reading the above, it seemed like having a SIPP would be the right choice. HL would be a good choice too! My initial concern was myself having to manage that pension or fund! I did contact HL, after reading a little more on their website, and it looked like they have ready made Portfolios. In fact, they do actually have them! Each portfolio is based on an investors risk attitude and preference for income or growth. One of these named portfolio + seemed like a good option. I wondered if anyone else is currently using this? Also with their preference to risk to growth or income?

Also, lukemg mentions the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 fund. I assume this is the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80% Equity Accumulation(Page cannot be found | Hargreaves Lansdown This is fund though, rather than a pension. Right? Thats my impression after speaking to someone from HL. Any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pbContract View Post
          Thanks northernladuk for the following link. Lots of really helpful information here.

So, from reading the above, it seemed like having a SIPP would be the right choice. HL would be a good choice too! My initial concern was myself having to manage that pension or fund! I did contact HL, after reading a little more on their website, and it looked like they have ready made Portfolios. In fact, they do actually have them! Each portfolio is based on an investors risk attitude and preference for income or growth. One of these named portfolio + seemed like a good option. I wondered if anyone else is currently using this? Also with their preference to risk to growth or income?

Also, lukemg mentions the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 fund. I assume this is the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80% Equity Accumulation(Page cannot be found | Hargreaves Lansdown This is fund though, rather than a pension. Right? Thats my impression after speaking to someone from HL. Any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks
          With a SIPP you can use funds. The investment vehicle is separate to the funding of it.
          So yes, you can put money into a SIPP and use Vanguard 80% for the investment (well pretty much anythingh HL will sell you).

EDIT: I've not researched it but there's probably even a way to put your pension into bitcoins (not advisable though). Property is the area where it gets a bit more complex as the tax dodge possibilities are such that the rules around it are more restrciting than other investments.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            With a SIPP you can use funds. The investment vehicle is separate to the funding of it.
            So yes, you can put money into a SIPP and use Vanguard 80% for the investment (well pretty much anythingh HL will sell you).

EDIT: I've not researched it but there's probably even a way to put your pension into bitcoins (not advisable though). Property is the area where it gets a bit more complex as the tax dodge possibilities are such that the rules around it are more restrciting than other investments.
            Not directly in to bitcoin but you can get a tracker fund.

XBT Provider AB Bitcoin Tracker One Share Price

XBT Provider AB Ethereum Tracker EUR Share Price

Good luck with those though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X