• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Accounting Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlc2009 View Post
    All my records are now upto date, didnt take me long. However there is a mis-match balance, this happened last year also, very frustrating

My tax year ends 1st November, and i like to get my accounts submitted ASAP so I can pay corp tax and forget about it

last year due to this error, my accounts didn't get submitted until June

I'm paying 80 quid a month for a very basic set of company accounts. I just wondered if I should be looking elsewhere
    Depends. You are still going to have to put the effort in keeping your records in order. If you'd have done this from the off this mismatch wouldn't have occurred and you wouldn't be wondering if you have to leave.

If you were getting poor advice from your accountant they were making mistakes then yes. Get yourself a better accountant with Freeagent so a double whammy.

Do you leave a perfectly good setup because you didn't step up. Not sure. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.
    Price is about right so you won't be saving any money by moving.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Depends. You are still going to have to put the effort in keeping your records in order. If you'd have done this from the off this mismatch wouldn't have occurred and you wouldn't be wondering if you have to leave.

If you were getting poor advice from your accountant they were making mistakes then yes. Get yourself a better accountant with Freeagent so a double whammy.

Do you leave a perfectly good setup because you didn't step up. Not sure. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.
      Price is about right so you won't be saving any money by moving.
      The Mismatch wasn't down to me, for past 4 years I have entered in the portal every month or so, it wasnt until this year I was getting slack

end of tax year last year, the balances matched.. this year they are mis-matched.. I think due to some good will calculation, but still mismatched

I just don't want to wait until June to have my corp tax paid, I do realise they have other customers

Comment

I just don't want to wait until June to have my corp tax paid, I do realise they have other customers
        Why would you pay early when you can get a better interest rate on the money elsewhere?
        I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
          Why would you pay early when you can get a better interest rate on the money elsewhere?
          1 or 2 percent, at a push? I don't wanna sound like I'm humble bragging, but the hassle of me opening a new account to get 1 percent is not worth it to me

I have investments outside that do that in a day ( on a good day haha )

I don't want to invest my companies funds due to HMRC viewing my company as an investment company and disqualifying me from ER relief

Comment

1 or 2 percent, at a push? I don't wanna sound like I'm humble bragging, but the hassle of me opening a new account to get 1 percent is not worth it to me

I have investments outside that do that in a day ( on a good day haha )

I don't want to invest my companies funds due to HMRC viewing my company as an investment company and disqualifying me from ER relief
            The latter won't happen for a few percent in a higher interest account. That isn't investing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The latter won't happen for a few percent in a higher interest account. That isn't investing.
              I'd rather just nip it in the bud, get it filed, pay it.. forget about it

If I had six-figures in corp tax, then maybe another story

Comment

I'd rather just nip it in the bud, get it filed, pay it.. forget about it

If I had six-figures in corp tax, then maybe another story
                No arguments there.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
                  Do the VAT return yourself and are on FRS - no need to be on a portal at all.

That's how I used to run my business when my accountant didn't have any portal - I'd do the VAT every quarter and at the end of the year give my accountants a load of receipts to go through everything for me.

Granted, that's not a recommmended way to run the business (and I now use Freeagent), but it's a way to do it, get the VAT done, and not update the accountant regularly.
                  You can prepare the VAT returns based on the sales invoices only if on the FRS. However, you will need to do this on the invoices basis where cash based accounting for VAT is better for your cash flow. We ask clients to update all their bookkeeping also for FRS VAT returns as we offer to assess if the FRS is still beneficial for them, but if we can not see their expenses incurred each quarter we can not advise on this. FreeAgent is the way to go forward especially with MTD businesses will be forced to update their records regularly.

Comment

is there a recommendation for good online accountants?

I might be being too hasty, but the current one I have always seems to be on leave

I contacted on 1st to get the accounts done, hes on leave back soon.. I contacted yesterday, hes on family emergency leave, back 19th

I mean I do understand people have personal problems, and I sympathise, but I have a business to run

Comment

is there a recommendation for good online accountants?

I might be being too hasty, but the current one I have always seems to be on leave

I contacted on 1st to get the accounts done, hes on leave back soon.. I contacted yesterday, hes on family emergency leave, back 19th

I mean I do understand people have personal problems, and I sympathise, but I have a business to run
                      If only we had an accountant recommendation sticky to help with this commonly asked question......

Comment

Working...
                      X