• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract extension notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract extension notice period

Morning. I am wondering if someone can give me a little advice. My current contract is due to end 30th November. A few days ago I signed an extension, starting 3rd December but have since found out that there is not much work in the pipeline. My agency have told me that I must give 4 weeks notice to terminate - taking me 2 weeks into the new contract. Is this right? Since the extension has not yet started, do I need to give notice or can I leave at the end of my current contract and "ignore" the extension? Many thanks for any help/advice.

Originally posted by Cjm681 View Post
    Morning. I am wondering if someone can give me a little advice. My current contract is due to end 30th November. A few days ago I signed an extension, starting 3rd December but have since found out that there is not much work in the pipeline. My agency have told me that I must give 4 weeks notice to terminate - taking me 2 weeks into the new contract. Is this right? Since the extension has not yet started, do I need to give notice or can I leave at the end of my current contract and "ignore" the extension? Many thanks for any help/advice.

Just don't turn up after your current contract, clients do this all the time to contractors before they start. Just tell them I won't be extending after all.

Comment

The way they would look at is not as an extension not having started yet, but the end date is now simply further away and already in play.

Comment

Well you've signed the extension so you've committed to turning up and a 4 week notice so yes I'd expect you on site for 2 of those weeks.

That said if there isn't much in the pipeline then surely you can negotiate with the client and ask them if leaving in 2 weeks is acceptable to them seems you haven't much to do. Agent will get pissy because he wants his commission for the 4 weeks but ignore him. Do what is best between you and the client.

The client must think there is work coming to sign you up again? Is there another reason you want to leave?

BTW What are you doing that requires a pipeline though? Surely if you are waiting for stuff to turn up then you are allocated work which would be a form of D&C? You should be completing a set task and the contract ends when either the date ends or the piece of work finishes. You shouldn't really be there being given new work as it crops up.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What are the deliverables specified in the new contract, or are you inside IR35?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Morning. I am wondering if someone can give me a little advice. My current contract is due to end 30th November. A few days ago I signed an extension, starting 3rd December but have since found out that there is not much work in the pipeline.
            Show up get paid. When work runs out, client will end the contract, agency can do nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X