• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Hopefully) Quick question re tax rates on dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Hopefully) Quick question re tax rates on dividends

Hi

I'll be starting my first contract in June and I'd like to double check the tax situation with regards to dividends.

By the time I start my contract, I'll already have earned around £30k from my permie job (due to a generous retention bonus). At it doesn't seem to make sense to draw a salary from my company in this tax year I thought I'd just wait and then take a dividend later. However, I'm unsure on what tax rates apply to that.

Say I want to take a dividend of £100k in this tax year. Is the whole lot (minus the £2k zero rated allowance) taxed at the Higher Rate of 32.5%?

Or it progressive like the PAYE system so the first £2k of the dividend is zero rated, the next £32,500 is taxed at 7.5%, then the remainder at 32.5%?

I've tried to research this myself but have read conflicting answers and I'm hoping that some kind soul on here can clarify.

Thanks!

Question for you accountant really.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:28.

Comment

Dividend tax works in the same way as other income tax. It’s taxed at 0% up to the first £2k above the personal allowance, 7.5% up to the higher rate threshold, then 32.5%. IIRC there’s also an additional rate of about 38%. You also have to account for the phased out personal allowance over £100k total income.

Comment

Trying to get a bunch of contractors to sort out your accounting with next to no information is never a quick question.

Speak to your accountant and they'll give you a plan for the rest of the year taking in to account all the variables.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I've not got an accountant yet but will obviously run everything past them once I'm fully up and running.

I think my mistake was not realising the different bands aren't actually different bands at all (i.e. the £34,500 "basic dividend" band is because the £11,850 personal allowance has already been factored in and so matches the "basic salary" band of £46,350).

So, going back to my example, am I right is saying that if I receive £31,500 from my permie job then I can take £2k dividends tax free, then another £12,850 @ 7.5%?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Trying to get a bunch of contractors to sort out your accounting with next to no information is never a quick question.

Speak to your accountant and they'll give you a plan for the rest of the year taking in to account all the variables.
            I’m not getting the “ask your accountant” replies to OP. They asked a very simple and generic question with a very simple answer!

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

I've not got an accountant yet but will obviously run everything past them once I'm fully up and running.

I think my mistake was not realising the different bands aren't actually different bands at all (i.e. the £34,500 "basic dividend" band is because the £11,850 personal allowance has already been factored in and so matches the "basic salary" band of £46,350).

So, going back to my example, am I right is saying that if I receive £31,500 from my permie job then I can take £2k dividends tax free, then another £12,850 @ 7.5%?

Thanks again
              Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                I’m not getting the “ask your accountant” replies to OP. They asked a very simple and generic question with a very simple answer!
                But what else does he need to know that he isn't asking etc....

OP. What you also need to bear in mind is that you need to grow a warchest as soon as possible. You need 3 to 6 months of money in your bank account that you can't touch in case your second gig doesn't come quickly or your first contract get's cancelled early. You are going to have no money coming in so your focus is accumulating money.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm with NLUK on this one..

While it's easy to jump on here and questions like that from OP, it's kind of futile.

Just engage an accountant, it's not terribly expensive and getting a quick turn around on questions from a qualified professional is great.

What is going on here is effectively bar talk.. with missing context information etc..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Correct.
                    Thanks for your time mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X