• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Product Discount == Inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Discount == Inside IR35?

If you're contracted to a manufacturing company and they offer you a discount on their product accepting it would be an IR35 inclusion risk?

Originally posted by FreeZey View Post
    If you're contracted to a manufacturing company and they offer you a discount on their product accepting it would be an IR35 inclusion risk?
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: If they only offer discounts to permanent staff members then it could be argued that you are now an employee as they provide that benefit. It's not a strong IR35 indicator though. And I reckon that thet offer discounts to a wider group than just staff.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If it's a permie perk then yes it's a flag to being inside so avoid it.

If it's for permies and partners i.e. anyone contracted to them then you are golden. Personally I'd find the information that says it's for a wider audience and stick it in the evidence folder just in case.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Short answer: No.

Long answer: If they only offer discounts to permanent staff members then it could be argued that you are now an employee as they provide that benefit. It's not a strong IR35 indicator though. And I reckon that thet offer discounts to a wider group than just staff.
        I'd say default the short answer to yes and investigate further. Just to be on the safe side, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'd say default the short answer to yes and investigate further. Just to be on the safe side, but that's me.
          I figure they are a manufacturing company and they will have all sorts of discounts. It's not like a staff canteen as the OP suggest these are standard products.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I figure they are a manufacturing company and they will have all sorts of discounts. It's not like a staff canteen as the OP suggest these are standard products.
            But I'd expect these to be staff discounts. Why would a manufacturer give discounts on standard products to all insundry? It's a benefit of working there. That's why I'd default to staff discount first before I assumed it was OK for all.

I've work in retail before and many of the discounts are for staff only with some being linked to employee number. It's been possible to get the discounts but only because they aren't smart enough to distinguish and take it for granted because you have an email account and doesn't check any further. Is that a flag? Dunno but it's borderline.

Comment

Thank's Lance and Northernladuk for your advice.

I should also have added that it was previously a permanent staff benefit that's now been extending to all contractors so based on what you've said too much of a red flag. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeZey View Post
                Thank's Lance and Northernladuk for your advice.

I should also have added that it was previously a permanent staff benefit that's now been extending to all contractors so based on what you've said too much of a red flag. Shame.
                If it's available to you, it's a red flag, whether or not you accept it. Still better not to take it up.

Comment

Go in and offer to pay full price. When they offer you a discount say 'why? Do I look poor?,' and then refuse it.

Comment

Is the product something you actually need? If not, then don't buy it. Simples.

Comment

Working...
                    X