• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using home as office expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    There should be one for a company surely? If I rent office space - I would expect to be able to expense that.
    Company expenditure is covered by the business information manual.

Yes, your business could rent premises and treat it as a tax deductible expense in its accounts but that isn’t the same as you, a company director, claiming expenses from YourCo for use of home as an office.

If there was a rental agreement in place YourCo could rent a room from you and you may then be able to claim a bit more but this would require a rental agreement and you would need to declare the rental income and offset it with allowable costs under the rules for property income. There may also be other considerations and you’d be advised to speak to an accountant about this.

Comment

FWIW I work from home almost exclusively and even have a dedicated garden office that is used about 80-90% for work and I still only claim £4/week as I can’t be bothered with faffing around.

Comment

You can claim HMRC's guidance amount of £4 per week and they won't raise any issues with that. Most contractors just go for that. It's £208 as expenses with no questions asked. However, if you want to claim for more you can. You'd have to carry out a detailed calculation either based on floor area of your workspace or by rooms (excluding kitchen, bathrooms and hallways) to work out your business percentage. You'd have to add up the running costs of your home per annum excluding phone and internet costs, apply your "business percentage" to that, divide it by 12 months, divide it by the number of working hours your do to come up with a use of home claim higher that £4 per week. As long as you have that calculation, if HMRC wanted to inquire into it, you can present that.

Comment

There are actually three options.

1. £4 / week. Simple, clean, easy.
          2. Actual cost, based on percentage usage (percentage of floor space or rooms, and percentage of time). Expenses included mortgage interest or rent, council tax, utilities. You aren't going to hit £83 / month unless you are paying absurd levels of interest and council tax.
          3. Contracted amount.

I do the third. Every year, I look at office space in my area to get a market rate. I set a price, write a formal agreement, and pay that amount. For the current year the market rate for the room I use would be over £150 / month, and we have agreed to provide it to the company 80% of the time at a rate of £120 / month (£60 each for Mrs and me, the house is owned jointly).

That's £720 each that we have to report on our self-assessment as rental income, against which we can claim expenses as above. Since we are mortgage free the expenses are negligible, so this does count as income. And it isn't eligible for the property allowance because it comes from a company which we control. But since our salaries are £700 / month, below the personal allowance, the rental income being taxable doesn't hurt us.

Comment

If your spouse is also a director then he/she can claim the £4 a week too, for £8 total. See previous thread: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2572644

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
              You can claim HMRC's guidance amount of £4 per week and they won't raise any issues with that. Most contractors just go for that. It's £208 as expenses with no questions asked. However, if you want to claim for more you can. You'd have to carry out a detailed calculation either based on floor area of your workspace or by rooms (excluding kitchen, bathrooms and hallways) to work out your business percentage. You'd have to add up the running costs of your home per annum excluding phone and internet costs, apply your "business percentage" to that, divide it by 12 months, divide it by the number of working hours your do to come up with a use of home claim higher that £4 per week. As long as you have that calculation, if HMRC wanted to inquire into it, you can present that.
              It’s worth pointing out that if you use this method, HMRC say that you can only claim additional costs (with evidence). You can’t claim a percentage of existing fixed costs as an employee or director.

It is a condition for relief under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 that the expenses must be incurred “wholly and exclusively” “in the performance of” the employee’s duties, see EIM31660. In practice that means that relief can only be allowed for

the additional unit costs of gas and electricity consumed while a room is being used for work
              the metered cost of water used “in the performance of the duties” (if any). As regards water rates, see EIM32820
              the unit costs of business telephone calls (including “dial up” internet access).
              EIM32815 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

You can’t include rent or council tax for example:
              EIM32820 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

AFAIK if you want to be able to claim a proportion if these costs you’d need to go down the rental agreement route.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 25 January 2019, 10:06.

Comment

Just be careful of this CGT trap.

The tax trap that's catching home workers - Telegraph
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Largely overblow IMO.

1. If you're self-employed, the room doesn't need to be "wholly and exclusively" for business purposes as you can either apportion your claim based on a how big your house is and how much you use the room or claim the simplified flat rate (which is not £4/week for sole traders).

2. Similarly, if you're an employee or company director, you can claim for additional costs with calculations (only the additional amount is treated as "wholly and exclusively for business purposes") or £4/week without evidence, neither requires the room to be "wholly and exclusively" for business purposes.

3. It's unlikely that many people exclusively use a room in their house for business. Most people will have a home office which is also used for personal reasons (doing your home budget, kids doing their homework etc, spare room etc.). Even if you're like me and have a dedicated garden office or similar, it's still not exclusively used for business. I keep my guitars in mine and use it for non-business stuff.

I can't imagine there are many cases of HMRC restricting PRR for people who do clerical/computer-based work from a "home office", even one that is mostly dedicated to working from home.

Comment

I'm probably being slow but....

something i heard on a podcast recently made my ears prick up.

They said that you can claim up to £26/month if you work enough hours froma home office. This obviously trumps £52/quarter. Googled it and this seems to confirm:

Simplified expenses if you're self-employed: Working from home - GOV.UK

am i looking at the wrong thing or is this a new change?

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
                      something i heard on a podcast recently made my ears prick up.

They said that you can claim up to £26/month if you work enough hours froma home office. This obviously trumps £52/quarter. Googled it and this seems to confirm:

Simplified expenses if you're self-employed: Working from home - GOV.UK

am i looking at the wrong thing or is this a new change?
                      Isn't the answer on the overview page?

If that isn't clear then on here.
                      BIM47825 - Business Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

The examples set out what expenses are allowable when an individual carrying on a trade uses part of their home for trade purposes. The guidance does not apply to the use of home by an employee or director - for this see EIM32760 onwards.
                      EIM32760 points back to the £4 a week answer.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 January 2019, 17:13.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X