• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drawing down 25% of Pension to Pay Off Mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Once you start to draw down, the amount you can save in your pension reduces.
    Draw down just 1p and yes, that's true. However, the OP asked about taking the 25% tax free lump sum. On it's own, that has no effect on future contributions.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Draw down just 1p and yes, that's true. However, the OP asked about taking the 25% tax free lump sum. On it's own, that has no effect on future contributions.
      Depends on the pension.
      Can I Take Money From My Pension And Keep Paying In?

Can I take a lump sum, tax-free payment of up to 25% when I reach 55 and still pay into my pension plan along with my employer making their usual payments up until I’m 65, or later?

If you’re in a modern flexible pension, you can take your tax-free cash and continue to make contributions into your pension.

And if you just take your tax-free cash and maintain the pension contributions you and your employer are currently making, there won’t be tax consequences.

But, bear in mind that not all company pension schemes are flexible enough to let you do this, especially if you’re still working.

And some older pension schemes don’t let you take just your tax-free cash without also taking an income, so you’d need to check.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Can I take a lump sum, tax-free payment of up to 25% when I reach 55 and still pay into my pension plan along with my employer making their usual payments up until I’m 65, or later?

If you’re in a modern flexible pension, you can take your tax-free cash and continue to make contributions into your pension.

And if you just take your tax-free cash and maintain the pension contributions you and your employer are currently making, there won’t be tax consequences.

But, bear in mind that not all company pension schemes are flexible enough to let you do this, especially if you’re still working.

And some older pension schemes don’t let you take just your tax-free cash without also taking an income, so you’d need to check.
        Yes, and there's the rub. Free "advice" is worth what you pay for it. So, on the assumption that this is a fairly longish term contractor who has availed him/herself of the advantages of a modern pension plan, then what I said holds firm. But there's tons of possible outcomes depending on the pension, very true.

On the other hand, myself if I had a vanilla defined contribution pension pot sitting in a legacy scheme without those freedoms, I'd be likely to move the pot elsewhere to avail myself of such pension freedoms. Yes, I've done that, yes, I've drawn down my 25%, no I haven't taken a single penny of drawdown income, yes, I have paid as much as GBP 80k back into the pension in a couple of years. HTH.

Comment

What age can you do this? i.e. take 25% out.

Assume its tax free etc and doesnt count as income etc?

I guess if you're approaching age you might as bung in max year before then take lump out as soon as eligible if thats the case.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            What age can you do this? i.e. take 25% out.

Assume its tax free etc and doesnt count as income etc?

I guess if you're approaching age you might as bung in max year before then take lump out as soon as eligible if thats the case.
            Presently, 55.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Presently, 55.
              Not long for me then!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X