• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax situation after April 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    As I say.. basic misunderstanding. Maslins has already given what will probably happen in the last line of his post.

Also mentioned a number of times in this post which you were a contributor.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ules-ir35.html

Please read the Reforms to IR35 threads.
    well, my questions are purely academic really, as unless I have totally misjudged my client's requirements for my services, I'll be retiring at the end of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      well, my questions are purely academic really, as unless I have totally misjudged my client's requirements for my services, I'll be retiring at the end of this year.
      Great. Thanks

Can we move to General then please?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Great. Thanks

Can we move to General then please?
        well, there was a caveat, which depends on my client. If they renew me again at the end of the year, then I'll have to consider my position after April 2020 and clearly I need to be as informed as I possibly can be, before making any decision.

This is why it would be good to know some actual facts rather than depending on opinions, however reasoned and valid they might seem.

Comment

Difficult to be informed on something that we don't know will happen and if it does how it will be implemented...

But the nearest example of what might happen is what has already happened in the PS. Happy reading.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Difficult to be informed on something that we don't know will happen and if it does how it will be implemented...

But the nearest example of what might happen is what has already happened in the PS. Happy reading.....
            yes, agreed. dare I mention the B word?, a relative of mine has maintained right from the outset that it won't happen!

Comment

For real-life examples of how it works in public sector currently, to assess how it may work if the rules are implemented as is for private sector, then the main relevant aspect I can think of is that many agencies will not want to pay into a Ltd as they need to have taken tax before that point as last supplier in the chain and will not offer you to go on their own payroll without a fee (if at all), and will push for contractors to use a third party payroll service or umbrella to isolate them from current or potential future employee rights/tax issues.

There is no benefit using the Ltd for the inside IR35 scenario only disadvantages.

Some people intending to flit between inside and outside IR35 contracts have kept the Ltd ticking over for the outside contracts and used brolly or payroll service for the inside contracts.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                For real-life examples of how it works in public sector currently, to assess how it may work if the rules are implemented as is for private sector, then the main relevant aspect I can think of is that many agencies will not want to pay into a Ltd as they need to have taken tax before that point as last supplier in the chain and will not offer you to go on their own payroll without a fee (if at all), and will push for contractors to use a third party payroll service or umbrella to isolate them from current or potential future employee rights/tax issues.

There is no benefit using the Ltd for the inside IR35 scenario only disadvantages.

Some people intending to flit between inside and outside IR35 contracts have kept the Ltd ticking over for the outside contracts and used brolly or payroll service for the inside contracts.
                Thanks for this. I guess many of us will have to wait and see exactly how things pan out. I'm due for a renewal at the end of June, which should take me to the end of the year, which is MyCo's financial year end. So I guess I'll have to try and establish what the client's intentions will be before the end of the year, that is if I do get a renewal and then if I'm offered one into next year. As I've said earlier, I can retire, so I'll only continue if the terms are attractive enough.

Comment

Yep, simplest approach is to continue under current terms until an extension offer comes along that takes you into and beyond April 2020.

In the meantime keep abreast of any news and developments so you can discuss the situation with the client if they look like they'll be wanting you beyond next March, so you can tell them why you won't be renewing unless terms are re-negotiated appropriately depending on what transpires by then.

Bottom line is clients will still want and need short term flexible resource so it's just the method of engagement and the associated cost that is open for change with whatever the government does to try to mess things up.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    Thanks for this. I guess many of us will have to wait and see exactly how things pan out. I'm due for a renewal at the end of June, which should take me to the end of the year, which is MyCo's financial year end. So I guess I'll have to try and establish what the client's intentions will be before the end of the year, that is if I do get a renewal and then if I'm offered one into next year. As I've said earlier, I can retire, so I'll only continue if the terms are attractive enough.
                    due for a renewal? or your contract ends?

Sounds like the sort of situation that IR35, and the subsequent legislation, is trying to resolve. i.e. permietracting, instead of running a business.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      due for a renewal? or your contract ends?

Sounds like the sort of situation that IR35, and the subsequent legislation, is trying to resolve. i.e. permietracting, instead of running a business.
                      Well, whatever the situation is, it's the clients who have created it, not the contractors. Clients have always wanted employees in effect, but without the incumbent costs. In my many years of contracting, I've never met anyone who effectively ran a business as you say, they were all effectively disguised employees. So I guess the new IR35 rules are going to affect an awful lot of people. I can also see that some organisations which sprang up on the back of IR35, without really acknowledging the reality of the situation, will wither on the vine when the new rules come into affect, as many will have no need to be members of, or require the services of, such organisations any longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X