Travel Time Travel Time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Travel Time

  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Travel Time

    Hi

    So clientco has decided to throw out all its contractors and go with SI's only from July 1st. I'm one of the "lucky" ones with an extension until end of October.

    Today, the project sponsor suggests the SI team and I go to Asia for a week (16 hours door to door each way) to meet with the support team whom will support the system when our project goes live.

    Enquiring a little further I'm told that all travel will be

    (a) Economy.
    (b) At weekends on my own time.
    (c) At my own expense to reimburse from the company.
    (d) No travel time or TOIL
    (e) Long days in Asia where they do the Asia day and spill over into european time.

    There is nothing in my contract re foreign travel and no chance of a renewal in November.

    So, I'm looking for advice on whether to suck it up or say sorry but this is not reasonable and push for 2 days invoicing.

    Thanks - iguy.

  2. #2

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,656

    Default

    If everyone is going economy, then you might live with that if you are paid:
    1. 8 hours of every day (or part thereof) away from home, but not working
    2. hourly for every work day (I'm assuming you're on an hourly contract, not Professional Working Day).

    That'd be my minimum position. The project sponsor is not just being unreasonable, he's being an idiotic unreasonable arse.
    Duct tape holds the universe together. In quantum chromodynamics it's known as the strong force. You get it in different colours, but metallic grey is best.

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If everyone is going economy, then you might live with that if you are paid:
    1. 8 hours of every day (or part thereof) away from home, but not working
    2. hourly for every work day (I'm assuming you're on an hourly contract, not Professional Working Day).

    That'd be my minimum position. The project sponsor is not just being unreasonable, he's being an idiotic unreasonable arse.
    Thanks NotallThere. Im on a daily rate.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,852

    Default

    There is no right or wrong answer here. Its down to your attitude and what you want.

    I've had to do long haul a number of times with clients. Mostly paid travelling but occasionally on my own time. Wasn't really fussed. The chance to go to Asia far outweighs a bit of travel and long days. I'd have enquired in to being paid for the weekends and suggested I'm on their time if I'm in the air or not. If I got a strong rebuff then so be it. I'd go anyway.

    A couple of long days in a foreign country isn't a problem. I'd still have the chance to enjoy the culture so bit of a bonus.

    But that's just me. If you are a 9 to 5'er and a day travelling is such a deal breaker then just say no and be prepared to join your ex colleagues on the bench.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    495

    Default

    I’d want to be paid something for 32 hours travelling. Maybe ask for a day or 2 of your rate.

    That’s not far off a weeks worth of hours.

    That being said if I was single with no kids I’d probably just do it.

  6. #6

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iguy2008 View Post
    Hi

    So clientco has decided to throw out all its contractors and go with SI's only from July 1st. I'm one of the "lucky" ones with an extension until end of October.

    Today, the project sponsor suggests the SI team and I go to Asia for a week (16 hours door to door each way) to meet with the support team whom will support the system when our project goes live.

    Enquiring a little further I'm told that all travel will be

    (a) Economy.
    (b) At weekends on my own time.
    (c) At my own expense to reimburse from the company.
    (d) No travel time or TOIL
    (e) Long days in Asia where they do the Asia day and spill over into european time.

    There is nothing in my contract re foreign travel and no chance of a renewal in November.

    So, I'm looking for advice on whether to suck it up or say sorry but this is not reasonable and push for 2 days invoicing.

    Thanks - iguy.
    I suspect we’re with the same Clientco....

    Short haul maybe suck it up. But flying halfway around the world for a handover to the support team? 2 days invoicing is the least they can do.

  7. #7

    Godlike

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    7,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If everyone is going economy, then you might live with that if you are paid:
    1. 8 hours of every day (or part thereof) away from home, but not working
    2. hourly for every work day (I'm assuming you're on an hourly contract, not Professional Working Day).

    That'd be my minimum position. The project sponsor is not just being unreasonable, he's being an idiotic unreasonable arse.
    i hate myself, but have to agree with basel brush here.
    in fact, i'd just tell them to shove it up their corporate arse.

    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  8. #8

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    i hate myself, but have to agree with basel brush here.
    in fact, i'd just tell them to shove it up their corporate arse.

    Boom! Boom!
    Duct tape holds the universe together. In quantum chromodynamics it's known as the strong force. You get it in different colours, but metallic grey is best.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Me being me, I'd get ClientCo to cover economy and then travel in first. I would not travel that distance without charging for it.

  10. #10

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,051

    Default

    I’d politely tell them to stick it. I’d walk if they continue to be unreasonable. Your time is valuable - just as much out of hours of you have family. They are taking liberties expecting your time for free.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 4th July 2019 at 20:57.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •