• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Out of Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP needs to change their 'accountant.'

I suspect the accountant 'knows' the new PC is not going to be used by the business and is just using the 'wholly and exclusive' and being out of contract as a reason not to allow it as a business expense.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Bottom line - move to an accountant that understands your business rather than just theirs.
      To be fair if that's the logic he's applying to the OP's business I'd be very worried about this accountant even understanding their business.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Rubbish accountant.

When benched I use my laptop to improve the company documentation, training, sort out my company accounts (that the accountant should realise) and all that stuff.

Idiot - I'd look for another accountant if were you.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

You won't find any HMRC documentation that says "its ok to buy a laptop when you aren't in a contract". The rule is pretty straightforward - is it "wholly and exclusively" for business purposes and if there's any personal use of the asset, is the personal use deemed "significant" or not?
          Sigh - yes, I guess it was never going to be as simple as sending a link to an HMRC document and saying "Tah-Dah!"

I can't be bothered arguing with him any more (the old adage about arguing with an idiot) so I think I'll follow the advise of many on this thread and put a new accountant on my bench time shopping list (my existing accountant having been "wholly and exclusively" useless in enough other ways already).

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by whatnow View Post
            Sigh - yes, I guess it was never going to be as simple as sending a link to an HMRC document and saying "Tah-Dah!"
            !
            Oddly enough it's because it's so basic and fundamental they don't need one.

We see questionable advice from accountants regularly but that has to be the worst to date.

Comment

What a crock.

Agree with all comments above.

Out with the old, and in with the new...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Rubbish accountant.

When benched I use my laptop to improve the company documentation, training, sort out my company accounts... and all that stuff..
                Really? Last time I was benched I used my computer to get really really good at Worms Armageddon.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wait a minute.....

do we have absolute agreement from EVERYONE?!?

seems suspicious to me!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Wait a minute.....

do we have absolute agreement from EVERYONE?!?

seems suspicious to me!
                    Except his accountant but I don't that's what you meant is it

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Really? Last time I was benched I used my computer to get really really good at Worms Armageddon.
                      Did you fail at that as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X