• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 letters going out to GlaxoSmithKline contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might well be advised to hang onto it for a few more years whilst Hector sifts through all your bins.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      The latter. If everyone is an agency employee, nobody needs IR35 insurance. And those small minority who their client agrees are outside IR35 won't need it either because the client will be responsible for the outside IR35 status. End of QDOS, end of IPSE.

For the avoidance of doubt, since I left the UK including in my current job, I've worked alongside many contractors, they're all on the agency pay roll. At least until their contract comes to an end, then they're gone. No reason it should any different in the UK. Occasionally, I do come across a genuinely self employed consultant contractor. They tend to run concurrent jobs with multiple clients, sometimes with employees of their own. I think we'll see more like this in the UK, just like the rest of the world.
      I would tend to agree, unless that is the clients still insist on contractors engaging in the chain through an Ltd. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in detail. There are going to be many scenarios, and I guess some that we haven't identified as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        I'm hearing rumours that GSK is going to start sorting out SoW for contractors and not all contractors there have received these letters, so the plot thickens around how these individuals have been targeted.
        perhaps GSK have run the CEST tool in advance of April 2020 and determined that 1500 will be inside at that time (asssuming the changes happen).
        And all others found to be genuinely outside.

It's speculation but it seems quite likely as they're going to have to do an impact assessment prior to April.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          The latter. If everyone is an agency employee, nobody needs IR35 insurance. And those small minority who their client agrees are outside IR35 won't need it either because the client will be responsible for the outside IR35 status. End of QDOS, end of IPSE.

For the avoidance of doubt, since I left the UK including in my current job, I've worked alongside many contractors, they're all on the agency pay roll. At least until their contract comes to an end, then they're gone. No reason it should any different in the UK. Occasionally, I do come across a genuinely self employed consultant contractor. They tend to run concurrent jobs with multiple clients, sometimes with employees of their own. I think we'll see more like this in the UK, just like the rest of the world.
          Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          I would tend to agree, unless that is the clients still insist on contractors engaging in the chain through an Ltd. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in detail. There are going to be many scenarios, and I guess some that we haven't identified as yet.
          I don't think you should write off QDOS and IPSE just yet. Unless people go down the MVL route, AFAIK there is still a likelihood of requiring some kind of insurance for a few years yet, even if your LTD does stop trading?

I saw a post on LinkedIn this morning that tends to suggest if an MVL has taken place, the risks of any IR35 inspection reduce significantly. Can anyone with a tax/accounting background explain why that would be the case?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            That outcome is possible in the short term, though once the normal way to employ agency workers is via agency pay roll, the thinking will change. The minority of truly independent contractors will obviously continue through a Ltd Co vehicle if for no other reason than limited liability. I expect HMRC's opinion of a 90 - 10 split between agency workers and proper Ltd Co workers to be likely near the mark. Though my own experience in other jurisdictions, I'd say it's nearer 97/98 agency workers to 2/3 truly independent businesses.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              Can anyone with a tax/accounting background explain why that would be the case?
              Not from that background, but my understanding is that yourCo is liable for the unpaid tax. For that debt to be passed to you personally, there would have needed to be extreme negligence. If yourCo no longer exists, then it has no money with which to pay the taxman. (Some people avoid having a company warchest for the same reason).

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                I don't think you should write off QDOS and IPSE just yet. Unless people go down the MVL route, AFAIK there is still a likelihood of requiring some kind of insurance for a few years yet, even if your LTD does stop trading?

I saw a post on LinkedIn this morning that tends to suggest if an MVL has taken place, the risks of any IR35 inspection reduce significantly. Can anyone with a tax/accounting background explain why that would be the case?
                granted, IR35 insurance will still be needed for a while even if the LTD is closed, in order to handle historic IR35 claims. However, I guess that situation won't exist forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Not from that background, but my understanding is that yourCo is liable for the unpaid tax. For that debt to be passed to you personally, there would have needed to be extreme negligence. If yourCo no longer exists, then it has no money with which to pay the taxman. (Some people avoid having a company warchest for the same reason).
                  Yup, basically this. It's a whole extra step for HMRC to argue not only that the company had the PAYE liability, but that the director should be forced to pay it personally.

There has been a school of thought that contractors should close their companies and restart every few years. Not from an MVL/capital gains manipulation perspective, but more to periodically bury old contracting work to get a clean slate for IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    Yup, basically this. It's a whole extra step for HMRC to argue not only that the company had the PAYE liability, but that the director should be forced to pay it personally.

There has been a school of thought that contractors should close their companies and restart every few years. Not from an MVL/capital gains manipulation perspective, but more to periodically bury old contracting work to get a clean slate for IR35.
                    Agree with this first point. On the second point, agree with that too as a statement of fact, but this would fall within the scope of the TiS and prevent a capital distribution (regardless of ER), so there wouldn't be much tax incentive to do it, which you also allude to, I think.

OTOH, if there were to be a successful transfer of debt, it would be more likely to happen when it appears that the contractor were precisely motivated by that chicanery. Personally, I think regularly opening/closing companies is not a good look, creates some additional risks (by creating an event/hook for inspection, as a minimum) and mitigates none (for anyone reading that might be considering it).

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                      The couple we've seen have been addressed to the PSC, no mention of the personal name of the director/shareholder.

I do worry that this could lead to the unfair situation where two contractors did the same role, one has QDOS/IPSE/whoever on their side and scare HMRC off with a swift rebuttal, whilst the other doesn't and caves.
                      Hi, I'm one of the contractors that have received this letter and it is addressed to the PSC. There are two of us working for the same PSC, both with GSK contracts (coincidently - we are usually at different places) - different departments. The HMRC then gave my name as the contractor they were writing to, not my business partner.

Getting through to HMRC isn't easy mind!!

Comment

Working...
                      X