• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of ER?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    When you close down a company, any shareholder funds left after final dividend distributions are distributed as capital. Assuming the shareholders paid a nominal amount for their shares (£1) and the company has reserved profits, they have made a capital gain personally, subject to CGT. Yes, you have a separate allowance for capital gains - around £12k IIRC. The rate of CGT you pay depends on whether or not you are eligible for ER or if not, whether or not you are a basic rate payer.
    thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I've never consciously considered it as MyCo is unlikely to have such funds to distribute which would use up the allowance. But I guess any actual liability will be explained to me when I do actually close my company.

Comment

Working...
    X