• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant Group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sliminconcoova View Post
    hey guys, im with Giant too, they do respond very quickly to queries, any questions they are more than happy to answer, i havent been with them long enough yet to experiance the pay situation, but although you should claim for non billables to the amount you spent (who does that anyway) the fee is exactly the same no matter what.

They only thing is they get you to tick a box confirming that you dont think this will be your last contract with them, but I for one think it may be so i get more money, it was a bit of a rush job if i am honest going umbrella, i am good with books so dont see why i bothered. Young and nieve i blame it on...but not more i tell ya!
    What type of books are you good with? Mr. Men?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by sliminconcoova View Post
      They only thing is they get you to tick a box confirming that you dont think this will be your last contract with them, but I for one think it may be so i get more money, it was a bit of a rush job if i am honest going umbrella, i am good with books so dont see why i bothered. Young and nieve i blame it on...but not more i tell ya!
      Have you asked them why they want to know if you expect another contract?

The reason is probably related to the travel expenses - for an umbrella to pay travel expenses, you cannot have only one location whilst with a particular umbrella company, otherwise it becomes your permanent location and hence you would be unable to claim travel expenses.

So for people who continuely swop umbrella companies, they may be caught out by this often forgotten rule. If an agency insists on using an umbrella company on their Preferred Supplier List (PSL) then again, a contractor be be unaware of this pitfall.

This also applied to limited company contractors but as they tend to go on from one contract to another, this is rarely an issue, it can be if you only have one contract through your company and then you close it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
        The reason is probably related to the travel expenses - for an umbrella to pay travel expenses, you cannot have only one location whilst with a particular umbrella company, otherwise it becomes your permanent location and hence you would be unable to claim travel expenses.
        Ooops.

I was with an umbrella co for my 1st contract a couple of years ago. I used to claim travel + accommodation expenses via them.

I decided to bin the umbrella and open up my own limited co while still on my 1st contract

Hopefully i won't get shafted for this.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

My wife initially contracted when she came up to London, she worked through Giant and had no issues at all with there service.

This was 2007/2008, so not a recent example.

OK this thread can go back to the grave now.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with GIANT, the main problem I guess is there size and there inability to taylor to an individuals needs again mainly due to their size, but in terms of umbrella’s they are one of the most established and probably safer bets if you are worried about dodgy offshore loan schemes, or umbrealla’s going bust.

Alot of contractors will go with them for the first few contracts and then as time goes on begin to seek out more tailored solutions

Comment

They're crap in my experience
              Blood in your poo

Comment

in total agreeance

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                <== Could not agree more!

Very disappointed, more so with the pay system; and here is my situation:

Agency received funds in good time from where I am assigned, fair enough they hold on to the money, not a problem. I specified that I wanted paying at the end of the month, (this is my first contract, so call me young and naive). Giant claim that if the funds are not there, then they will pay when they are, and I quote:
                Originally posted by GIANT FAQ
                If your agency/end client pays monthly giant will process your pay on your selected monthly pay date provided we have received allocated funds for you by the end of the previous working day. If we have not received funds by that time you will be paid the working day after your funds are received and allocated.
                simply not the case! Unless I rang them up I would not have seen my wages until the end of the next month...I am not a comedian, but I have bills to pay!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
                  Have you asked them why they want to know if you expect another contract?

So for people who continuely swop umbrella companies, they may be caught out by this often forgotten rule. If an agency insists on using an umbrella company on their Preferred Supplier List (PSL) then again, a contractor be be unaware of this pitfall.

This also applied to limited company contractors but as they tend to go on from one contract to another, this is rarely an issue, it can be if you only have one contract through your company and then you close it down.
                  Thanks for that Nixon! So from what I can gather, so long as I stay a contractor and I want to leave giant then there shouldn't be a problem so long as I can prove it wasnt a perm position? (showing the contracts and what not). I think in the T+C's I have to give Giant the 1 months notice (or longer if the contract requires it) then I am not allowed to work for or do any services for the customer, which I am assuming is where I am working or is that the agency?

Comment

No.

If you have just one contract with a brolly (A), then either

1. Get a contract and go through another brolly (B)
                    2. Get a contract and go through your own ltdco.
                    3. Get a perm job

You cannot claim travel and subsistance for the duration of your contract with brolly A.

If you setup a ltdco and only ever have one contract through it, the same applies.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                      And they are a brolly. 'Nough said!
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X