• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - advise on accounting service etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I'd like to point out that setting up a bank account certainly isn't an hours job - well the initial application maybe, but there'll be proofs and bank checking to go on which usually takes 2 weeks or more. BUT it's accepted in the industry that if you've just set up a limited then you can take your first payment into your personal account and push it into the business bank when it's ready. I haven't tried it though

And overall I would say: there's an awful lot of naysaying on this forum, a lot of success that doesn't enjoy company, but entrepreneurialism is all about sticking your neck out when everyone else is being conservative. It's not let me down and the times in work have greatly outweighed the times without. Rather 6 months out looking for a contract than a year of permanent work and I suspect many others here would agree. Well, except for the naysayers.
    Nay, nay, thrice nay....

But the point is not to put people off but to try and make sure they consider all the aspects of a major change in their working life.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Considerations

Ah, life style... well, that's not much different with permanent roles in modern days, as not lots of permanent contract last permanent anyway...

For the considerations of the stuff need to be set up (the hassle part), Is the below miss anything:
      - Find a good accountant (registration, VAT, PAYE, etc)
      - set up bank account
      - set up SIPP pension

Anything else that I am missing?

Thanks,

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      I'd like to point out that setting up a bank account certainly isn't an hours job - well the initial application maybe, but there'll be proofs and bank checking to go on which usually takes 2 weeks or more. BUT it's accepted in the industry that if you've just set up a limited then you can take your first payment into your personal account and push it into the business bank when it's ready. I haven't tried it though

And overall I would say: there's an awful lot of naysaying on this forum, a lot of success that doesn't enjoy company, but entrepreneurialism is all about sticking your neck out when everyone else is being conservative. It's not let me down and the times in work have greatly outweighed the times without. Rather 6 months out looking for a contract than a year of permanent work and I suspect many others here would agree. Well, except for the naysayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecat View Post
        Ah, life style... well, that's not much different with permanent roles in modern days, as not lots of permanent contract last permanent anyway...

For the considerations of the stuff need to be set up (the hassle part), Is the below miss anything:
        - Find a good accountant (registration, VAT, PAYE, etc)
        - set up bank account
        - set up SIPP pension

Anything else that I am missing?

Thanks,
        Set aside 3 hours each day to post to CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Set aside 3 hours each day to post to CUK.
          Nah, that HAS to be part of the day job. The art of working maybe 1 hour per day, grossly out performing the regular staff blokes in the office in productivity, looking incredibly busy and being super duper helpful. Whilst posting at CUK and managing your ISA/SIPP portfolio for an oh so grateful client. Happy days. (It's not like that any more though, is it?)
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X