• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can you carry a loss forward?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Until you make a profit that exceeds the balance of your losses or you reach £5m

Year 1 Loss of £1,000
    Year 2 Profit of £50 - Retained loss = £950
    Year 3 Profit of £300 - Retained loss = £650

and so on
    Thanks ladymuck, that's very good to know. In fact it will be quite nice to think that everything I earn for a while now will be effectively tax free.

"The one"!? Charming. Yes, the loss is largely on account of that written off bad debt.

The other issues my stalker keeps digging out are in connection with a different company, with which the prospective deal didn't come off in the end.
    Last edited by ittony; 8 September 2020, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      You do know that profit/loss is calculated before dividend distribution don’t you?
      I did know that, yes! But thanks anyway.

Comment

No-one is stalking you. Looking for clarification

I won't go and check NLUK's comments against your posts as you'll think I'm a stalker too.
        But you've had a look though haven't you... come on.. admit it...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But you've had a look though haven't you... come on.. admit it...
          A lady never tells

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
            I did know that, yes! But thanks anyway.
            Good. Just checking.

In that case then, as you have made a profit in previous years, why not simply offset current losses against previous profits and get some CT back from the HMRC for this year? Makes far more sense that deferring it for a few years in the future.

EDIT: saw the reason why in an earlier post.

But you do need to consider whether your business is going to profitable ever. Given the current economic situation. Perhaps an open and honest conversation with a professional is the best bit of advice you can get here?
            Last edited by Lance; 9 September 2020, 10:29.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X