Is business car insurance taxable as BIK? Is business car insurance taxable as BIK? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 63
  1. #11

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    If you have a business lease and you close your company, the car goes back and your company will probably have to pay some kind of penalty for stopping the lease early.
    You end up with no car.

    If you want to transfer the car to personal ownership, you'll need to stop your business lease and then start a personal lease - it might not be at the same rate + VAT, etc.

    There's several threads on here about it.
    It is a 2 year lease. What reason would I have for closing down the company?

  2. #12

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannon999 View Post
    It is a 2 year lease. What reason would I have for closing down the company?
    Corp tax going up
    IR35
    Market downturn
    Change in personal circumstances
    ...etc
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  3. #13

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Have to resurrect this thread.

    I have opted for going for personal cover rather than business cover (as business is more expensive).

    Can the company reimburse me for car insurance in this case? (Car is registered to the business and I am the director) If it can - is there BIK attached? Any links to info would be useful - I have tried googling

  4. #14

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    12,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannon999 View Post
    Have to resurrect this thread.

    I have opted for going for personal cover rather than business cover (as business is more expensive).

    Can the company reimburse me for car insurance in this case? (Car is registered to the business and I am the director) If it can - is there BIK attached? Any links to info would be useful - I have tried googling
    You really don't understand what a BIK is, do you...

    Put it this way - would you expect Tesco to reimburse you for the costs of driving to their store to do your shopping?

    And I assume your insurance covers business usage - not just commuting - which is reflected in the premium...

    But yes, YourCo can reimburse you and yes, it would attract personal tax at your highest marginal rate as though it were earned income, because that is what it is.
    Blog? What blog...?

  5. #15

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannon999 View Post
    It is a 2 year lease. What reason would I have for closing down the company?
    We've had enough threads in here with people getting caught short.

    Rather odd question with the market in utter turmoil and the IR35 changes coming up.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21st October 2020 at 12:25.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #16

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannon999 View Post
    Have to resurrect this thread.

    I have opted for going for personal cover rather than business cover (as business is more expensive).

    Can the company reimburse me for car insurance in this case? (Car is registered to the business and I am the director) If it can - is there BIK attached? Any links to info would be useful - I have tried googling

    Let's get this right, you got the car through your company, but you're not going to use it for company activities.

    No, you can't claim PERSONAL insurance through your business, it's not a BIK, it's a personal cost. You have to pay 100% of it.
    You might find your company lease on the car will specify the type of insurance you need to have. You might also find buying/leasing something for the company but using it exclusively for non-company activities might be considered fraud.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  7. #17

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Let's get this right, you got the car through your company, but you're not going to use it for company activities.

    No, you can't claim PERSONAL insurance through your business, it's not a BIK, it's a personal cost. You have to pay 100% of it.
    You might find your company lease on the car will specify the type of insurance you need to have. You might also find buying/leasing something for the company but using it exclusively for non-company activities might be considered fraud.
    The lease agreement asks for a fully comprehensive insurance which is what this is. It's not used exclusively for non-company activities? It's used for both personal and company activities. That's allowed.

    It is a vehicle registered to the business. To use this vehicle for going to meetings this vehicle MUST be insured. How can you say that it's not expensable? That's nonsense. Expenses if you're self-employed: Car, van and travel expenses - GOV.UK
    Last edited by cannon999; 21st October 2020 at 13:41.

  8. #18

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    We've had enough threads in here with people getting caught short.

    Rather odd question with the market in utter turmoil and the IR35 changes coming up.
    I still don't understand your point? The company has enough money to maintain the car for 2 years. What's the reason behind not getting a lease again?

  9. #19

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannon999 View Post
    The lease agreement asks for a fully comprehensive insurance which is what this is. It's not used exclusively for non-company activities? It's used for both personal and company activities. That's allowed.

    It is a vehicle registered to the business. To use this vehicle for going to meetings this vehicle MUST be insured. How can you say that it's not expensable? That's nonsense. Expenses if you're self-employed: Car, van and travel expenses - GOV.UK
    Oh the joys of HMRC lumping multiple things together and then not providing links to the actual detail.

    But you've missed 1 obvious flaw in your argument, a limited company is leasing the car so you are not self employed.

    After that the devil is in the detail here as there are probably 1000+ pages of HMRC guidance related to this, so go and ask you accountant or go and find the complete guidance and read the appropriate section.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  10. #20

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    You really don't understand what a BIK is, do you...

    Put it this way - would you expect Tesco to reimburse you for the costs of driving to their store to do your shopping?

    And I assume your insurance covers business usage - not just commuting - which is reflected in the premium...

    But yes, YourCo can reimburse you and yes, it would attract personal tax at your highest marginal rate as though it were earned income, because that is what it is.
    I don't own Tesco though do I? But I do own the business. I cannot drive the business vehicle without the insurance - it is a requirement of the business lease agreement (and a legal one). So to go to a business meeting - this vehicle has to be insured. This is why I am questioning any BIK due on insurance premiums because you can't separate business from personal here - it is a legal requirement to have the vehicle insured to drive it. Even if I drive it 3 times a year for business use - the price of the insurance wouldn't change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •