• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From 1st January traveling to site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From 1st January traveling to site

Hi, I'm looking for advice on where I can look to find out what I need to do from the 1st of January for travelling to the site.

My situation is as follows:

-I have a PSC in the UK and also pay all my taxes in the UK.
    -Me/my PSC gets contracts from a Swiss company to provide service on their behalf. I submit my invoices to this company for all the work.
    -My contracts from the Swiss company can be based anywhere and the current one is for a company in Germany. Here I am onsite for a number of weeks at a time then work remotely for a number of weeks.

I am looking for information or even a pointer to find out what I need to do for 1st January so that when I need to go to site for a number of weeks I have the correct paperwork in place ie a VISA.

Happy to provide more information and sorry if this is already been answered but I couldn't find a similar topic.

I'll be honest - we don't know as we don't know the rules that are I effect from1st January

And yes it is December 12th and no I'm not being awkward or clever
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I'll be honest - we don't know as we don't know the rules that are I effect from1st January

And yes it is December 12th and no I'm not being awkward or clever
      So I think it will be clearer next week after the meeting on Sunday right?

Comment

Talk to the German embassy in London. Seriously.

I had a slightly different situation about 6 weeks ago. I needed some international advice. A Uk-Luxembourg deal that cannot complete until after the new year (long story). Tried our Department for International Trade - About as much use as Anne Franks' drum kit! So tried the Luxembourg people who could not have been more helpful and I got my issues resolved that way.

It seems to me that others countries know much more about Brexit than we do!

The Germans though will probably want you to register for German tax. Just a little word of warning here based on previous experience. If you think the English taxman is a bastard, you ain't seen nothing yet!
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by essex contractor View Post
          Hi, I'm looking for advice on where I can look to find out what I need to do from the 1st of January for travelling to the site.

My situation is as follows:

-I have a PSC in the UK and also pay all my taxes in the UK.
          -Me/my PSC gets contracts from a Swiss company to provide service on their behalf. I submit my invoices to this company for all the work.
          -My contracts from the Swiss company can be based anywhere and the current one is for a company in Germany. Here I am onsite for a number of weeks at a time then work remotely for a number of weeks.

I am looking for information or even a pointer to find out what I need to do for 1st January so that when I need to go to site for a number of weeks I have the correct paperwork in place ie a VISA.

Happy to provide more information and sorry if this is already been answered but I couldn't find a similar topic.
          Declare this arrangement to German tax authorities who will inform you accordingly (ie you should have been paying German tax from day 1)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Does anyone have any new information on this? I am expected to travel again in the next couple of months and would like to know if there is anything I need to do now. For the last 7 months I have just been working remotely due to the travel restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by essex contractor View Post
              Does anyone have any new information on this? I am expected to travel again in the next couple of months and would like to know if there is anything I need to do now. For the last 7 months I have just been working remotely due to the travel restrictions.
              To be fair very very few of us need to travel out of the UK for work and those that do tend to be based there so won't have this cropping up regularly and particularly not yet while restrictions are on. We'd actually be coming to someone like you for advice like this and hope you've done the leg work. With it being soon after Brexit and Covid I very much doubt we can be any help beyond what you've already been told.

The posts above were sound advice back when you posted so have you tried following it recently?

Doesn't your client help with this? If they are sending you somewhere they should be aware of the rules and what to do/not do to get your out there as it affects their business if you can't get there. It would be a pretty poor carry on if they won some business you had to attend in Germany and there was no possibility of you getting there to do it.

So can your client not help and can you not try the suggestions posed before?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X