• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Insurance

Questions about the insurance itself can be put to the insurers Abbey Tax Protection (the same insurer that provides representation cover via PCG membership). We provide the approval to determine eligibility to apply for cover - this involves an assessment of the contractual evidence and working practices.

With regard to our contracts, Lawspeed was the first service provider to provide recruiters with contracts designed for contractors to operate outside IR35. These templates have been provided since July 1999, well in advance of the implementation of IR35, and have been approved by the PCG as well as having been successfully defended in all adverse Revenue decisions to our knowledge.
    Last edited by lawspeed; 16 February 2007, 11:45.
    Regards,
    James

Lawspeed Limited
    Any views or opinions expressed herein may be solely those of the originator and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Lawspeed or its Directors. Copyright © Lawspeed Limited 2007

Comment

Originally posted by lawspeed
      Questions about the insurance itself can be put to the insurers Abbey Tax Protection (the same insurer that provides representation cover via PCG membership). We provide the approval to determine eligibility to apply for cover - this involves an assessment of the contractual evidence and working practices.

With regard to our contracts, Lawspeed was the first service provider to provide recruiters with contracts designed for contractors to operate outside IR35. These templates have been provided since July 1999, well in advance of the implementation of IR35, and have been approved by the PCG as well as having been successfully defended in all adverse Revenue decisions to our knowledge.
      James,

Do the insurance premiums have to be kept up indefinitely !?

If for example I paid for insurance for 2006 but had now stopped paying my premiums. And then the IR decide to investigate me at some stage in the future regarding 2006. Am I covered for 2006 for all costs and tax bills ?

Regards, Roots

Comment

IR35 Insurance

What is particularly unique about Abbey Tax Protection's policy is that you only take out Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance for the period of the actual contracts to be covered. In order to make a claim you do however need to have kept in place 'PEI' - Professional Expenses Insurance (either by continuing PCG membership which has it included or by renewing this with ATP directly). So the ongoing costs can be relatively low.

If we take an example where you either only contract for one year (2006 say) or where you only have IR35-approved contracts for that one year, you would take out Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance for that one year, then simply keep your PCG membership current for the next 6 years to enable you to make a claim throughout that time relating to the contracts in 2006.
        Regards,
        James

Lawspeed Limited
        Any views or opinions expressed herein may be solely those of the originator and are not necessarily the views or opinions of Lawspeed or its Directors. Copyright © Lawspeed Limited 2007

Comment

Originally posted by lawspeed
          What is particularly unique about Abbey Tax Protection's policy is that you only take out Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance for the period of the actual contracts to be covered. In order to make a claim you do however need to have kept in place 'PEI' - Professional Expenses Insurance (either by continuing PCG membership which has it included or by renewing this with ATP directly). So the ongoing costs can be relatively low.

If we take an example where you either only contract for one year (2006 say) or where you only have IR35-approved contracts for that one year, you would take out Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance for that one year, then simply keep your PCG membership current for the next 6 years to enable you to make a claim throughout that time relating to the contracts in 2006.
          Thanks for the reply.

What worries me about any of the insurance schemes offering to pay the tax bill is that they charge a premium that reflects the current risk of them paying out ie. low.

If the IR start winning cases or retrospectively change the rules to make sure they win cases then the insurers are either going to have to increase their premiums to much higher levels or I suspect invoke clauses to avoid paying out. I assume there is lots of fine print in the Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance policy and I'm guessing there will be something about the IR changing the rules !? Is the Survive35 Tax-Safe insurance policy underwritten by a large organisation ?

Comment

IR35 Insurance

ATP can provide you with further details about the policy itself:
            Abbey Tax Protection

It is underwritten by certain longstanding underwriters at Lloyd’s of London.
            Regards,
            James

Lawspeed Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
              What this amounts to is this:

Contractor has to sign Lawspeed's own drafted EB standard contract which is not necessarily back-to-back with the same they've drafted between EB and client.

You then haven't a clue whether you are really inside or not.

You ring up Lawspeed who fleece you to check the terms of 'their' contract and say you are outside.

Meanwhile they know full well that someone else in the firm has drafted inside IR35 terms between the same EB and the client you are working to.

You then ring up Lawspeed and pay them for insurance as well as the original check on your EB terms that they organised in order to mitigate your risks about their own carefully crafted and confusing EB terms that gave rise to the problem in the first place.

Nice one James.

Next time I enquire about becoming a blood donor perhaps I should ring up Dracula.

Totally confused again sorry. EB?

Comment

Working...
              X