• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taper relief withdrawn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by max View Post
    18% is better than dividends. Rough guesstimate 1/2 of you'd pay if you take as dividends.
    Remember the 18% is on top of the corporation tax (which is rising to 22%) your company has already paid.

So, with £100k profit capital distribution route would be £100k - 22% (CT) = £78k capital distribution which is then taxed at 18% which gives around £64k (closer to £66k with a £10k capital gains allowance).

With £100k profit the dividend route would be £100k - 22% (CT) = £78k. Adding 10% dividend credit and then applying 32.5% higher rate dividend tax gives you £58.5k.

Comment

I never knew owning a Ltd. co would be so damn complex.

I must say I have a LOT of cash and some assets in the assets in the company...some of them being loans. I know I know, slap on the hand.
      Should I take out a £30K divi and clear most of the cash out now?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        I never knew owning a Ltd. co would be so damn complex.

I must say I have a LOT of cash and some assets in the assets in the company...some of them being loans. I know I know, slap on the hand.
        Should I take out a £30K divi and clear most of the cash out now?
        Loans should be kept below £5k and repaid in same year, except possibly season ticket loans.

You can retrospectively regularize them using a backdated dividend declaration.

It is sensible to pay a £30k dividend (treated as £33.33k income of course, because of the 10% tax credit) as early as possible in the tax year (assuming you have sufficient retained profit), because the money is better in your hands than the company's.

Does mean that any further dividends in the year will attract higher rate income tax.

Comment

But the company has already paid full CT on it. What you really mean is you personally will pay no extra income tax on it which is a different thing.
          Yes, that is what I meant. The corporation tax is irrelevant, because it is exactly the same whether you take money as dividends or capital gain. For money which is destined to saved rather than spent, I regard paying any CGT at all as tax inefficient, because there's an alternative route to getting money out of the company that will cost me nothing extra.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            Yes, that is what I meant. The corporation tax is irrelevant, because it is exactly the same whether you take money as dividends or capital gain. For money which is destined to saved rather than spent, I regard paying any CGT at all as tax inefficient, because there's an alternative route to getting money out of the company that will cost me nothing extra.
            Any chance of sharing this alternative route that costs nothing extra?
            TIA!

Comment

Do does this mean that if you buy AIM shares and keep them for 2 yrs and then make a £1000 profit, the tax changes from £100 to £180?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                Do does this mean that if you buy AIM shares and keep them for 2 yrs and then make a £1000 profit, the tax changes from £100 to £180?
                yes. AIM shareholders will be hit as you describe. But dont forget you have a 9k allowance to use up first before any tax is due.
                The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                  yes. AIM shareholders will be hit as you describe. But dont forget you have a 9k allowance to use up first before any tax is due.
                  So did I before!! my tax liability has almost doubled.... should have bought a buy to let

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                    So did I before!! my tax liability has almost doubled.... should have bought a buy to let
                    You'll still pay CGT when you sell though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      You'll still pay CGT when you sell though.
                      Yes but the tax has gone down from 40% to 18%!

Comment

Working...
                      X