• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer - urgent advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't charge £100 per month.

They charge £1200 for a full years service, including final accounts, and in some cases self assesment, and let you pay in monthly installments.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

I did much the same thing, and went with an umbrella for the first 3 month contract intending to go back to my permie job at the end. I didn't, and always regretted not going Ltd. from the start.

So my suggestion is go Ltd., unless you're certain it is just for 3 months. Even then it could still be worth having the Ltd.

BTW don't expect an accountant to do everything for you. Having a Ltd. isn't like working through an umbrella, or being an employee. You have to take responsibility for the finances.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

3 month Contract and a Limited Company

I think it maybe worth considering what you are getting into. A Limited Company comes with responsibility for filing ontime and paying taxes correctly. These are your responsibility whether you have an accountant helping you or not. So if you want to run your own business then a Limited Company maybe a good option. If you want to have some more money for three months then I would be carefull about doing this for the wrong reasons. All the legislation now means that having a Limited Company comes with the real intent to be a freelancer professional running a business, and taking the appropriate responsibility.

Comment

Don't forget that as a Limited company you may also need some professional indemnity insurance which could set you back a good number too.

As said above it's not a case of just paying 3 months payments to the accountants, the accounts and other things will be needing work done well beyond your 3 month contract.

On the VAT side, if your rate is £250 a day and you work say 46 weeks a year, this puts you below the VAT limit so registration for VAT is optional, might not be worth the hassle.. then again if you are hiring an accountant, then ask about the flat rate VAT scheme, it might put a few hundred quid in your pocket.. all counts I guess.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Go umbrella for the 3 months and see how it goes. Then if you make a decision to commit to contracting for, say, a couple of years then do the ltdco thing. A ltdco shouldn't be set up on a whim or for short term.

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I did much the same thing, and went with an umbrella for the first 3 month contract intending to go back to my permie job at the end. I didn't, and always regretted not going Ltd. from the start.

So my suggestion is go Ltd., unless you're certain it is just for 3 months. Even then it could still be worth having the Ltd.

BTW don't expect an accountant to do everything for you. Having a Ltd. isn't like working through an umbrella, or being an employee. You have to take responsibility for the finances.
              Indeed - I fully intend to carry on contracting regardless of what happens here. Although I've a very good chance of a 3 or 6 month extension. I've set up the Ltd and have just done my fisrt months books.Thanks for the advice re the accountant, Ill take that on board.

I think in general everyone has to start somewhere so I guess I'll just see where it takes me.

Comment

good luck

I started my LTD last month, too
                and I'm still loking for contracts...
                UK asp.net C# IT Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by victorantos View Post
                  I started my LTD last month, too
                  and I'm still loking for contracts...
                  You should have waited until you got your first contract before starting your Ltd Company. If you are on the bench, you may not be entitled to any Unemployment Benefits if you are a Director of the Limited company.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Ltd

I've created my company when some potential client had asked me for my company number, but he found someone else later from London

I don't want any Unemployment Benefits, I just want to find an interesting web project to work on
                    UK asp.net C# IT Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X