• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick And Dirty Calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick And Dirty Calculation

I'm trying to work out my self assessment liability for 08-09 as I want to reduce payment on account due Jan 31 09. My 08-09 figures are below, tax on sal PAYE, tax on interest at source not sure what to do with divs though,

Salary £12,000 Tax paid at source
    Interest £10,035 22% tax paid at source
    Divs £20,000

Total £42,035

Yes have asked accountant but waiting for a reply, anyone any ideas ?

On the basis that the tax has been deducted properly from your salary, you will have an additional £1130 to pay.

Nice chunk of interest, BTW

Comment

Assuming that the interest is the gross amount, (tax is normally deducted at 20% BTW) and that the dividend is net, the gross income would be as follows:

Salary £12,000
      Interest £10,035
      Dividends £22,222

Total £44,257

Less Personal allowance of £6035 & HR band of £34800 leaves £3422 subject to Higher Rate (HR) tax.

The HR tax on the dividends is effectively 22.5% of the gross, so this would leave tax due of £770

As previously said, this assumes that the correct PAYE has been deducted from the salary and that the interest above is gross.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
        Assuming that the interest is the gross amount, (tax is normally deducted at 20% BTW) and that the dividend is net, the gross income would be as follows:

Salary £12,000
        Interest £10,035
        Dividends £22,222

Total £44,257

Less Personal allowance of £6035 & HR band of £34800 leaves £3422 subject to Higher Rate (HR) tax.

The HR tax on the dividends is effectively 22.5% of the gross, so this would leave tax due of £770

As previously said, this assumes that the correct PAYE has been deducted from the salary and that the interest above is gross.

Alan
        So that means I can have an income of £40,835 (allowance £6035+ HR £34800) before I need to pay 40% on anything above that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
          So that means I can have an income of £40,835 (allowance £6035+ HR £34800) before I need to pay 40% on anything above that ?
          That sounds about right to me, not taking into account any "special circumstances" that might reduce your allowance - such as any BIKs declared on your P11D, that sort of thing. I don't know how student loan repayments effect people these days - they might do, but then again, I am not an accountant.

Comment

Working...
          X