• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a previous client - expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a previous client - expenses

Hi all,

Have had a look on the HMRC web site and done a quick search on this web site but couldnt find anything that specifically answered my question, anybody here help please?

Contracted to Client for 15 months, contract / project ended, then secured current contract with Client B which is scheduled to end in March after 12 months. Been contacted by Client A to see if i would consider going back for another 12 month contract.

My question is this, does the 2 year rule regarding claiming expenses 'reset' in a case like this? My guess is that it does but cant seem to find anything in black and white that confirms this.

Regards

Alan

Just claim it. Its highly unlikely you be investigated anyway.

I did and didnt get investigated so whoooooooooooo- hooooooooo!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
      My question is this, does the 2 year rule regarding claiming expenses 'reset' in a case like this? My guess is that it does but cant seem to find anything in black and white that confirms this.
      That's because there is nothing in black and white, good isn't it.

Of course, the "temporary workplace" applies to the site and not the client so it is quite possible that if your journeys to client A and client B were not susbstantively different, then you shouldn't have been claiming expenses for your journeys to client B.

We can't tell that from your post.

Of course, there are plenty of people that take the view that you should just claim it, and given the incompleteness of the rules who would blame you. In the event of an enquiry you will just be assessed on the BIK (and of course that may encourage them to look further into other matters but I am sure that you are squeaky clean in all other respects ).

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Of course, there are plenty of people that take the view that you should just claim it, and given the incompleteness of the rules who would blame you. In the event of an enquiry you will just be assessed on the BIK (and of course that may encourage them to look further into other matters but I am sure that you are squeaky clean in all other respects ).
        + the interest

+ any penalty they can dream up

+ the rest of the investigation and whatever that turns up
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          + the interest

+ any penalty they can dream up

+ the rest of the investigation and whatever that turns up
          + if they ever investigate you

+ you will have to be very unlucky to be investigated

+ so you probably wont be investigated

+ so what?

+ I havent been in 10 years.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            + if they ever investigate you

+ you will have to be very unlucky to be investigated

+ so you probably wont be investigated

+ so what?

+ I havent been in 10 years.
            There are quite a few people on here that I think have been investigated - SallyAnne for one springs to mind.

You may be right, "you probably won't be investigated". However, if you are, then it's not just the BIK that you will need to pay tax on, it's the rest of it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It doesn't really help by others advising to claim on the grounds that it is unlikely that there will be an enquiry. If you (or anyone else) have a genuine enquiry then it may be better to use the expert forum on the Contractor Alliance website.
              It is impossible to answer the question - the legislation is dependent upon attendance at workplaces and you refer simply to working for clients - you may find the answer at http://www.contractoralliance.co.uk/...ctor_expenses/
              If not then email me at [email protected] with the full facts and if it is not covered on the Contractor Alliance site I will add a paragraph ...
              Bob
              www.internet-taxation.co.uk

Comment

Hi all,

Apologies for the vagueness in the OP.

Client A is based in Southampton and deals with Air Traffic Control, Client B is based in Gloucester and is involved in Nuclear Power Generation.

I hope that helps.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                X