• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax is pretty taxing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax is pretty taxing

My accountant is currently preparing my accounts for my year up to April 09. There is going to be a fair chunk of tax to pay - given that my next years accounts are going to be nothing as I will probably spend up to April out here (full financial year) is it possible to carry over some of what I owe to the following year?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Erm, sorry for sounding like a bumhole but why didn't you ask your accountant this seems he is doing you returns for you right now?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just wondered if anybody had done this that's all.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

What are you trying to carry over?

You mean delay paying some of the corporation tax?

Or spreading some of the profit earnt in one year to the next year?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          My accountant is currently preparing my accounts for my year up to April 09. There is going to be a fair chunk of tax to pay - given that my next years accounts are going to be nothing as I will probably spend up to April out here (full financial year) is it possible to carry over some of what I owe to the following year?
          By my accounts do you mean personal tax or corp tax?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Is there any way I can reduce the corp tax amount. As I'm working like a permie on this role I'm paying my tax for the current year. What I would normally do is save it up as I go along so that it pays the previous years. I'd only intending doing this job for a short time and reverting to type. Unfortunately that never happened and as such I have not replenished the amount needed to pay the corp tax.

Next year I intend using my ltd again when I come back to the UK and will have no tax to pay at this time next year so I was wondering, rather than take the full hit now, could I massage things to pay some of the corp tax next year. I know the answer is probably going to be a no, but thought I'd ask the question.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

AFAIK you're supposed to retain funds within the company accounts to ensure you can meet all financial obligations, like corp tax and VAT.
              If you've been taking out dividends which deplete reserves to the point that you cannot make these obligations then you're open to claims of directorship negligence.

Late payment might be an option, the interest isn't too bad
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I realise that I shouldn't have done what I did, but the amount due is usually a little over a months billings - so it's not hard to retain that throughout the year, which is what I usually do/did. As I said, next year will be an empty one as my company has earned nothing this financial year and hopefully it will be back up and running as normal.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  I realise that I shouldn't have done what I did, but the amount due is usually a little over a months billings - so it's not hard to retain that throughout the year, which is what I usually do/did. As I said, next year will be an empty one as my company has earned nothing this financial year and hopefully it will be back up and running as normal.
                  I think you'll need an honest chat with your accountant
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                  X