• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am paying too much tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    northernladuk is right. Most accountants in my experience aren't very proactive, they just answer any questions you ask and deal with what you send them.

I probably lost out a couple of K on petrol on a company van I never knew I could claim for before I started taking a more active interest. The accountant knew I had a company van but never asked why I wasn't providing petrol costs. Do a bit of research, starting with booklets 490 and 480 from HMRC site.
    Good point. My experience of 'contractor accountants' and their 'proactive tax advice' does not extend beyond taking a low salary and the rest as divvy.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If you're inclined to save yourself the most possible tax (legally), get yourself the Zurich Tax Handbook off Amazon and read it cover to cover.

There's all sorts of ways you can legitimately reduce your tax, and all sorts of ways that are a bit greyer.

Comment

As a basic rule of thumb, if someone out of the probationary period doesn't respond within 3 posts, it's probably just a troll.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X