• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweden Long Contract Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweden Long Contract Advice Please

Hi All,

I run a small limited company which provides services to multiple clients. There is an oppurtunity to take a long (1yr+) contract in Sweden. During this contract the contractor is expected to carry out ongoing work to support other work within the UK, albeit remotely. The Swedish contract would be provided by a UK agency so there would be no direct payment from the Swedish client. The contractor would still be paid into their UK bank account in Sterling. The contractor would probably rent an apartment (if possible) in Sweden.

From the research carried out if a contractor is providing services for over 6 months in Sweden they need to register as a tax resident? If this is correct please can someone advise of the way forward with this situation (i.e. is the contract financially viable) or point me in the direction of a good accountant.

Regards,

SEContractor

3 Months

EU/EEA citizens can freely reside in Sweden for up to three months and may start working before registering with the Swedish Migration Board. Work permits are not required. Those wishing to stay longer than three months in Sweden must apply to register their right of residence.

If you're here under 6 months then you'll only have to pay a basic rate of tax (30% as I remember), after that you'll be liable to pay the full rate.

/Michael
    Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by data2010 View Post
      EU/EEA citizens can freely reside in Sweden for up to three months and may start working before registering with the Swedish Migration Board. Work permits are not required. Those wishing to stay longer than three months in Sweden must apply to register their right of residence.

If you're here under 6 months then you'll only have to pay a basic rate of tax (30% as I remember), after that you'll be liable to pay the full rate.

/Michael
      Denmark
      That must be the intra-Scandinavian rule

I was told that under six months I had to pay nothing (I declared it on my UK SA form)

tim

Comment

No, this rule applies for all EU/EEA citizens, the Nordic countries don't need any permits at all. I ran into the same rules about 2 years ago, where I had a 12 month contract. Make sure that the contract stipulates that its under 6 months. Ask at the Swedish Embassy in London.

/Michael

Comment

It still doesn't correspond to what I was told.

Initially, I was signed up for a year so I took out a "first hand" flat rental and signed up at the local Skatteverket office - I already had a Personel number from a previous trip.

But the contract was cut short and I finished after 5 months. I was told by the management company that I wouldn't have to pay any Swedish tax. I didn't believe them, went into the Skatteverket to check and they confirmed the MC was correct.

I did however note that when you de-register from Sweden, the process is different if your new address is somewhere else in Scandinavia.

tim

Comment

If you were there previously for 5 months, did you get a residence permit?

/Michael

Comment

Working...
            X