• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting paid on a German contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting paid on a German contract?

Had a brief chat about the possiblity of a 12 month contract in Germany today. I've considered it before but it's always sounded like a lot of hassle and I bottled out. I'd appreciate any clarity someone can bring on simple ways of getting paid in Germany.

What i'm after is a 100% within the law, no grey area, paid up, easy to use way of getting paid, like an umbrella is in the uk.

From reading around the area i've not seen any mention of umbrella companies in Germany however, which seems odd. The general theme seems to be you need to become a freelancer, get a tax advisor, and submit all your own returns etc. (in German!?).

Questions
    Are there any pitfalls / grey areas in becoming a freelancer in Germany with regards to tax?

I read there are certain criteria to meet when applying to be a freelancer (down to wording on the application?), but once you're approved does that mean it's safe to assume that's the way you'll always be treated by the German tax system?

Is your status as a freelancer jepordised by your working practices, length of time in one position (single client, working on site, regular hours, contract extensions etc.)?

Can they / do they change peoples employment status? With the associated back tax plus interest?

What is a rough take home percentage for you're average IT contractor say? I was talking to an agent who said there were two ways to go, one was basically a 50% take home, the other 75%... i find the fact there's even that ambiguity disturbing! Is the 75% some dodgey scheme or the rough freelancer figure?

Basically what i'm looking for is to make an informed decision, and know for sure if I go then I won't have a tax man kicking down my door later on.

Thanks for all your help wise ones

There are some clients who wont let their "external" hires work as freelancers, but if they will it is the best way to go by a mile.

You will have to pay full tax (after expenses) but should op out of the very expensive German NI scheme and buy cheap (by comparison) international health cover.

Keep a house in the UK and you can claim all your costs of accommondation/travel in Germany (up to a reasonable limit). It needs to be a house that you genuinly pay the bills at, they will ask for proof after a while.

Edit -forget to mention.

If you freelance in Germany you are automatically assumed to have all the abilites that you claimed to have, when you applied for the role. There's no expectation that the client should test you to check or to train you when you get there. If you turn up for work and can't do a job that you said you can do, the client is entitled to terminate the contract forthwith and reclaim all of the fees paid to date.

This isn't just a theoretic possibility, I have worked at two places where it has happened to previous freelancers.

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 14 February 2010, 22:41.

Comment

Last edited by Olly; 16 January 2013, 20:05.

Comment

Looks like an expert has answered this question http://www.contractoruk.com/004750.html andhere

Given it's a 12 month contract it sounds like that in itself would result in failing the criteria of being a ‘Freiberufler’ by having more than 5/6ths of your income from one client in a tax year.

That just leaves the option of full on tax and social security, presumably paying the employers part of the contribution as well.

Has anyone got a back of an envelope calculation on what that results in for take home pay when everything is taken account of? Sub 50%?
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 19 February 2010, 11:11. Reason: Thanks whattodo - there are two links, the general guide and the expert answer, so both now here

Comment

You can stay UK tax resident for 2 years

Provided your main residence is in the UK and your Ltd company is registered in the UK, you can continue to pay UK tax whilst working in Germany. This is advice from a German accountant based over there and many UK contractors in Germany work under this arrangement.

So, provided you are not caught by IR35 this would be the best option for you.

Paying full-whack German tax would sting. Or if you decide to use some dodgy offshore solution there is always the risk of getting busted ...

Just pay your tax here. Less hassle, less tax.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianH View Post
            Provided your main residence is in the UK and your Ltd company is registered in the UK, you can continue to pay UK tax whilst working in Germany. This is advice from a German accountant based over there and many UK contractors in Germany work under this arrangement.

Paying full-whack German tax would sting. Or if you decide to use some dodgy offshore solution there is always the risk of getting busted ...

I would check this out very carefully. A few points:

Your company will probably need to register for and charge your customer german VAT

Your ltd may end up liable for German corporation tax due to the center of control being in Germany.

You may have a job getting a German business bank account

You should not become tax resident in DE as long as you are there for < 183 days in a tax year, but if you do become tax resident in Germany you will have to pay German income tax on your "worldwide income". Also, as you are employed your company may need to run a German payroll and pay German social insurance.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianH View Post

Don't trust that. German tax residency kicks in after 183 days regardless of whether you are resident elsewhere.

That is a very risky strategy, the only justification is that you are unlikely to be caught if you are there for no more than a couple of years. The fact that many contractors do it is even more a reason not to. If one gets caught they'll then go through systematically all British contractors, you can bet.

By the way the Sozialversicherung (National Insurance) is NOT A TAX. They will not come after you for it from the tax office. The tax office doesn't care. This myth is often used to scare contractors into schemes. THERE ARE NO PENALTIES FOR NOT PAYING IT, JUST A BACK DEMAND FROM THE PENSIONS DEPT. It is a Insurance for your benefit, and it is seen as such froim the authorities. Only nasty employers not paying it for their employees would face penalties not contractors, who would only be classified as "Arbeitnehmer ähnliche Selbständiger" if you work for one client in any one year.

This would only be a problem if you stayed in Germany for several years. The Pensions office is not going to investigate a non-resident (i.e. if you return to the UK). They usually chase up Germans who've stopped paying it and were registered in the past.

And in any case if you are really worried you can pay EUR 200 a months for up to two years.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 February 2010, 11:17.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Last edited by Olly; 16 January 2013, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

And in any case if you are really worried you can pay EUR 200 a months for up to two years.
                  Hi,

Do you have a reference / link to some information for this? I'd appreciate it if you have as I'm currently a freiberufler and I'm concerned about being adjudged "false self employed".

My undertstanding is the penalty is up to 3 months employees contributions for me + a backpayment from my "employer" up to the duration I have been working for them which would obviously upset them. If I can avoid the risk by paying €200 a month then that would be grand.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Hi,

Do you have a reference / link to some information for this? I'd appreciate it if you have as I'm currently a freiberufler and I'm concerned about being adjudged "false self employed".

My undertstanding is the penalty is up to 3 months employees contributions for me + a backpayment from my "employer" up to the duration I have been working for them which would obviously upset them. If I can avoid the risk by paying €200 a month then that would be grand.
                    Try that
                    http://www.arbeitnehmeraehnlicher-selbststaendiger.de/

Penalties and employers contributions are only due for "Scheinselbständigkeit"
                    for example on a building site. An IT contractor is not going to be classified as "Scheinelbständig" . This is to punish employers exploiting their employees.

You may however be classified as "arbeitnehmeraehnlicher-selbststaendig". In which case you have no penalty just back pay (EUR 20,000 max for 4 years), and your employer has nothing to pay.

However they will probably check up on you in a few years. You might get a "Kontenklärung", which is a clarification on your contributions, why you haven't been paying. That's what you need to think about.

You can employ someone on a salary of greater than EUR 400 (for example a friend of mine could do your bookeeping for you :-)) then you would have no worries. However you could pay the EUR 500 or 200 for 2 years and then 500 and have done with it.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 February 2010, 14:50.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X