• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agency screwing me on VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agency screwing me on VAT

just realised i'm being screwed over by my agency on VAT,

i set my 1st ltd up on this contract, i'm 8 months in secured an extension at the end of jan,

said agency run a self bill invoice system inclusive of VAT, but it has only just dawned on me that i'll be the one paying the VAT and the agency are claiming the VAT from the client co but not having to pay it to me (my ltd)

obviously realise that this is my fook up, but is there anything i can do to lessen / reduce the impact other then:

re-negotiate contract, read the contract properly etc etc

(

When negotiating all contracts old and new always state £xxx excluding VAT.

Not much you can do about it until extension time but it will only happen to you once...

PS. You are not being screwed by the agent on this, as the service provider it's your responsibility, it's not their fault you cocked it up.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      When negotiating all contracts old and new always state £xxx excluding VAT.

Not much you can do about it until extension time but it will only happen to you once...

PS. You are not being screwed by the agent on this, as the service provider it's your responsibility, it's not their fault you cocked it up.
      i feel screwed that's what's important, you live and learn

cheers for the feedback

Comment

VAT and other miscreants

So agency bill end client and add VAT ...for example £100+vat=£120

and they're only paying you £100??

am I reading this correctly?

Robert

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

i set my 1st ltd up on this contract, i'm 8 months in secured an extension at the end of jan,

said agency run a self bill invoice system inclusive of VAT, but it has only just dawned on me that i'll be the one paying the VAT and the agency are claiming the VAT from the client co but not having to pay it to me (my ltd)

obviously realise that this is my fook up, but is there anything i can do to lessen / reduce the impact other then:

(

Comment

(
          Hang on, I'm confused here.

Are you VAT registered?
          Does the self-billing invoice state a VAT amount?
          Does your contract state that the agent and the contractor 'agree' to use self-billing?

Comment

WHS.

If you're VAT registered, you have to charge VAT. If the agency haven't been paying it, tell them forthwith and they have no choice but to pay up the missing VAT.

If you're not VAT registered, you don't charge VAT, just the nett amount. What goes on between client and agent is nothing to do with you.

So either way you're not missing out. Unless the contract did specify the amount including VAT and you took it to mean the amount not including VAT, but that's not the norm.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              WHS.

If you're VAT registered, you have to charge VAT. If the agency haven't been paying it, tell them forthwith and they have no choice but to pay up the missing VAT.

If you're not VAT registered, you don't charge VAT, just the nett amount. What goes on between client and agent is nothing to do with you.

So either way you're not missing out. Unless the contract did specify the amount including VAT and you took it to mean the amount not including VAT, but that's not the norm.

WHS. Are you VAT registered?

You mention 8 months, if you were registered you would be on your third return by now.

If you have only recently registered or need to then you charge from that date, the agency has to pay vat and then you have to pay Hmrc.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                WHS. Are you VAT registered?

You mention 8 months, if you were registered you would be on your third return by now.

If you have only recently registered or need to then you charge from that date, the agency has to pay vat and then you have to pay Hmrc.
                only just registered as was below the threshold (and still will be for a few months),

invoices state "THE VAT SHOWN IS YOUR OUTPUT TAX DUE TO HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS" but no VAT or deductions are shown

will speak to the accountant tomorrow and find out where i stand

Comment

only just registered
                  Sounds like you might be misunderstanding how the VAT system works.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

only just registered as was below the threshold (and still will be for a few months),

invoices state "THE VAT SHOWN IS YOUR OUTPUT TAX DUE TO HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS" but no VAT or deductions are shown

will speak to the accountant tomorrow and find out where i stand
                    There wont be any VAT on your self bill as you havent yet sent prove of VAT registration to the agent. And even if you have, they will only apply VAT once they have updated their records and apply it to your date of registration.

Your self bill will nearly always say "THE VAT SHOWN IS YOUR OUTPUT TAX DUE TO HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS" even when you are not VAT registered. Its just a template.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X