• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Investigation Protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Investigation Protection

I have been sent the following details from my accountant to cover for investigations from HMRC, his advice being with the number of investigations increasing I should have something in place to cover. This cover is provided by Taxwise and offered by a no. of accountants having google searched.

http://shop.sqcp.com/files/TEI%20Scheme%20Brochure.pdf

I was intending to take out some sort of HMRC cover and was looking at PCG but wonder how the attached compares to the cover provided by PCG. For info the cost of Taxwise product is £100.

Thoughts welcome please.

Qdos do a TLC35 policy which covers the costs of any liabilities as well. It's been discussed ad nauseum before.

PCG+ will cover any aspect inquiry (including the new business records checks).

For everything else that you get from PCG+, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Qdos do a TLC35 policy which covers the costs of any liabilities as well. It's been discussed ad nauseum before.

For everything else that you get from PCG+, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
      WHS
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks - so reading on the website the PCG standard generally offers the same level of cover as PCG+ in terms inquiry protection. Not sure I would need PCG+ otherwise, as I have been fully exempted from jury service having been called up last year and deffered to this year and is the only other reason I would take out PGC+.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Thanks - so reading on the website the PCG standard generally offers the same level of cover as PCG+ in terms inquiry protection. Not sure I would need PCG+ otherwise, as I have been fully exempted from jury service having been called up last year and deffered to this year and is the only other reason I would take out PGC+.
          PCG+ also gives agency failure insurance, which is a nice to have feature
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            No. Standard membership gives you IR35 Investigation insurance. Plus gives you pre-dispute tax investigation insurance*, Jury service cover, Agency failure and default insurance, credit management support and access to the Freelance MBA (a powerful online training tool provided by the world leading Ashridge Management College), and access to use Club Workspace in central London locations.

Add in a heap of discounts (I'll get you 15% off in your first year if you really want), plus adding strength to PG's voice wherere it matters, and the vast amount of information available both from other members and PCG's library, it seriously is a no brainer.

*That's any tax investigation; the idea is to stop it ever getting to IR35...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Agreed. What Mal said. Anyone who has to think about Plus membership hasn't understood the question.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                Agreed. What Mal said. Anyone who has to think about Plus membership hasn't understood the question.
                So why does the PCG even bother with the standard membership, then?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

So why does the PCG even bother with the standard membership, then?
                  Mainly for the same reason some people think £95 a month is too expensive for an accountant?

Anyway, better to make sure people have a good degree of protection at the lowest commercial market rate for such things, while simultaneously giving them the rather more intangible membership benefits. It's also fair to say that the percentage of the membership on Plus in steadily increasing, so clearly the additional value is being recognised.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I must have had a sixth sense as I upgraded to PCG+ insurance about 3 months before a jury summons! I was out of contract at the time but the insurance paid out up to £300 per day (less the amount you could claim back from the courts) up to 10 days. Just that episode alone meant it paid for itself many times over.

Comment

Working...
                    X