• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking company pension early, contracting and NIC's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking company pension early, contracting and NIC's?

I am going to be drawing a pension from an ex employer from May this year, it will be about £10k per year. I have another 5 or 6 years work ahead of me before fully retiring though so I will still be contracting. I have paid enough NIC to qualify for my state pension but I wish to pay some NIC to qualify for contribution based benefits. I will have a "BR" tax code for my contracting income but the situation I am in seems quite complex from paying a point of view of a LTD Co salary and paying NIC's as required. Given a £10k pension, I am unsure how much salary to draw and how much NIC to pay? Thanks for any insight.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

You could pay a salary up to the no-NI limit, currently £589 per month. That way you'd get credit for pension & benefits without paying any NI. You would pay basic rate tax on the whole lot because of your BR code, but then you'd save CT at the same rate so it would be in one hand and out the other. No tax loss overall but NI credit.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      You could pay a salary up to the no-NI limit, currently £589 per month. That way you'd get credit for pension & benefits without paying any NI. You would pay basic rate tax on the whole lot because of your BR code, but then you'd save CT at the same rate so it would be in one hand and out the other. No tax loss overall but NI credit.
      Thanks Clare. I think I will round that up and pay some NICs. I have looked at this more, you are referring to "ST" or secondary threshold (I believe) it is set at £624 per month for 12/13. I also found HMRC document CA44, it relates to this scenario, but it is 48 pages long! Thanks again.
      Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 15 March 2012, 15:32.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
      X