• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rented Accommodation - Expenses For Utilities & Incidentals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rnsuk View Post
    Im in a similar situation and I have searched , I've even asked my online accounmtatn but not sure they have have everything correct.

I am about to take a room in london as I am working here for 4 months.
    I know I can claim for the room ( it will be in my ltd co name) .
    I know I can't claim for a telly or lunches or dinner.
    However I cannot work out if I can still claim incidentals like ... washing powder , new bedding , towewls etc or the £5 incidentals ( no reciepts required )

I have searched and just now looked at the nixon qwilliams site too.

Is anyonw doing similar and what are you claiming?
    help appreciated.
    Jay
    No you can't. It does not meet wholly and exclusively for work rule of thumb. It is needed to live. You are away granted but you don't wash just your work clothes yadda yadda.....

And why piss about with ridiculous things like that? You only save the tax on it which I have already pointed out.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you checked:

HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits A to Z
      http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480_appendix7.pdf
      Travel expenses: general: introduction

Note some things even accountants don't agree on:

Accommodation and Subsistence

PS Wholly and exclusively does not apply to travel and subsistence
      Last edited by xoggoth; 30 May 2012, 20:24.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

However I cannot work out if I can still claim incidentals like ... washing powder , new bedding , towewls etc or the £5 incidentals ( no reciepts required )
        So you are stating that you cannot:
        1. Take your clothing home at the weekend to wash it, or take washing powder from home?
        2. Take old bedding and towels from home? (And then buy new ones for your home)
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Im in a similar situation and I have searched , I've even asked my online accounmtatn but not sure they have have everything correct.

I am about to take a room in london as I am working here for 4 months.
          I know I can claim for the room ( it will be in my ltd co name) .
          I know I can't claim for a telly or lunches or dinner.

I have searched and just now looked at the nixon qwilliams site too.

Is anyonw doing similar and what are you claiming?
          help appreciated.
          Jay
          Your a contractor not an MP

Comment

thx for all the responses.

Yes its just the tax . i knew that
            As I am working 24 days on without a day off , I can't go back home and get the bedding .
            But as I am working this much , I really ought to shut the fugg up and go spend some on new satin sheets!

thx sockpuppet , very interesting reading. left means confused as before.

Comment

Either:

1. Ask your accountant what they are comfortable with you claiming for

OR

2. Keep receipts for absolutely everything and then when it comes to doing the end of year accounts, ask the accountant to go though it all and tell you what you can claim and what you can't.

If you don't have receipts then you pretty much can't claim it (unless you are an MP).
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

thx for all the responses.

As I am working 24 days on without a day off , I can't go back home and get the bedding .
                Are you seriously telling me you have only 2 sets of bedding?

But as I am working this much , I really ought to shut the fugg up and go spend some on new satin sheets!
                Get the old ones from home to use in your lodgings and get the new luxury ones for home, so when you are at home you enjoy your bed more.

Or alternatively if your home ones are nice, visit one of the many large supermarkets and buy stuff for your lodgings as they always have sales. However don't go for the cheapest stuff. You can then chuck away when your contract ends if it has fallen apart.

thx sockpuppet , very interesting reading. left means confused as before.
                Ask your accountant what they advise.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X