• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I buy my own ltd co shares through Stocks & Shares ISA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I buy my own ltd co shares through Stocks & Shares ISA?

Hi

I'm wondering if it is possible to buy a share in the ltd co I am a director of, through my personal stocks and shares isa? Then could pay the div into that ISA tax wrapper.

Thanks, richy

Not according to this:

Within a stocks and shares ISA it is possible to hold any shares listed on a recognised stock exchange anywhere in the world, government and corporate bonds, unit trusts, open ended investment companies (OEICS) and investment trusts, but not unquoted shares, shares listed on the alternative investment market, options or futures.

Individual savings accounts | Publications | Members | ACCA

Your ISA cannot invest directly in

warrants
    AIM listed shares
    private (unquoted) shares.
    You cannot borrow any money under your ISA.

ISA key features

If in doubt, talk to an IFA. I believe there are also rules about not being able to transfer shares you already own into an ISA, you'd have to sell them (and then there's potentially CGT issues).
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

No you can't. To qualify as an appropriate investment for an ISA the shares have to be traded on a recognised exchange.

It's a nice idea but if it was viable it would have been the first thing that you would have been told to do when you set up your company.

If you have your heart set on it then you could get your company's shares traded on an exchange but I suspect the compliance costs of doing this would outweigh the tax saved by a considerable margin.

Comment

Even if the shares were traded on an appropriate exchange the only gain would be related to CGT on disposal. The associated tax credit with dividends is no longer reclaimable.

Comment

No you can't.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Could make the Ltd a PLC? Not cheap tho ISTR

I once worked for the smallest PLC I ever heard of, about six people there making fall arrest equipment. Lord knows why it wasn't just a Ltd but I think it was summert to do with Venture Capitalists. I was doing Novell support - version 2.85 or something - those days are long gone!

Went bust...

Comment

ok understood. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Shame about AIM too.

Comment

Working...
              X