• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage claim on split journeys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    The return leg where your wife taxi's herself back home without you is probably not claimable though!
    Why wouldn't it be?

Comment

My thinking is because he's not in the car going home. Same logic, I guess, as not claiming for a taxi driver to return back to his rank.

From a technical point of view, it could be argued that the wife driving home alone is not wholly and exclusive. Could be wrong!

Comment

My thinking is because he's not in the car going home. Same logic, I guess, as not claiming for a taxi driver to return back to his rank.

From a technical point of view, it could be argued that the wife driving home alone is not wholly and exclusive. Could be wrong!
        But the taxi driver has already baked in his return trip in the price.......

Comment

That is an interesting one, when I was an employee and flying on business I could claim from the company for bot legs of my lifts journey, the argument being that it was cheeper than a taxi or one way and parking. Not sure whether my old employer claimed it against tax or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            That is an interesting one, when I was an employee and flying on business I could claim from the company for bot legs of my lifts journey, the argument being that it was cheeper than a taxi or one way and parking. Not sure whether my old employer claimed it against tax or not.
            Thats my thinking as well, 2 roundtrips to the airport for me is about £20 in mileage, £50 in a taxi and £60 if driving myself and park.

Comment

I could be wrong, her driving home wouldn't have happened if she hadn't needed to drop the OP to the station.

The are other ways of claiming costs, but they are not ethical.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I could be wrong, her driving home wouldn't have happened if she hadn't needed to drop the OP to the station.

The are other ways of claiming costs, but they are not ethical.
                Exactly my thinking, the return journey is only necessary because of the outward leg.

Comment

I don't think the logic of it being cheaper claiming a round trip compared to a taxi fare is an argument in HMRC's eyes.

Look at the test as to whether it is wholly and exclusive. As the worker, the journey TO the train station and then the onward journey from the train station to client site is the claimable element.

Comment

Doesn't the Taxi fare incorporate some of the costs of returning to the rank?
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I don't think the logic of it being cheaper claiming a round trip compared to a taxi fare is an argument in HMRC's eyes.

Look at the test as to whether it is wholly and exclusive. As the worker, the journey TO the train station and then the onward journey from the train station to client site is the claimable element.
                      I see your point, but our argument is that the return journey by the spouse is a direct result of the workers trip to the station and therefore forms part of the whole trip. That would be my argument to HMRC anyway, having said that, personally I would only claim the milage of the trip TO the station on the Monday and FROM on the Friday, especially as it is only £10 (£2 tax) x 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X