• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

breeze

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    But there is risk involved. If its anything like other schemes it will however by your own risk rather than theirs.
    That is incorrect. Their marketing materials clearly say, 'Zero Risk.'
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Or 'Risk Free' or 'Minimal Risk' - depends it you keep watching the advert for a bit.

Comment

That's right. Someone has zero risk (hint its not the potential customers as those who are suffering the joy that is Section 58 Finance Act 2008 will happily emphasis).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

To be fair, at least these guys have stuck around - they must have known they were walking into a barrage of questions and not too nice comments (a bit like Geoff from another scheme I can't remember).

Mind you
          1) I've no intention of taking them up on their offer and
          2) I had nothing to do with Sunday

To me it's another loan scheme that pays the fees back if it goes south. It will be right for some people who are prepared for the risks involved and not for others. I only hope that those that do go for it go with their eyes open and understand what 'no risk' means in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by dezze View Post
            Or 'Risk Free' or 'Minimal Risk' - depends it you keep watching the advert for a bit.
            I will of course update when the ASA responds to my complaint on this.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              But in Dextra, HMR&C's argument that F1989 s.43 applied was accepted by the Court of Appeal and the decision was upheld by the House of Lords. As the trustees were viewed as intermediaries it was considered that contributions made should be viewed as emoluments. As I understand it the same argument was successfully used in the Sempra case even though a family benefit trust rather than an employee benefit trust was used. Also aren't these cases about 10 years old?? I am fairly sure that there have been tax tribunals since that would offer more compelling case law especially after the legal strike against EBTs.
              Phil hello
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Phil hello
                Stop hogging the limelight. I want to know about zero risk as well.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Phil hello
                  There's the recent Rangers case, but that seems to have fallen down on the fact that the contracts were't drafted properly, ie that it was written into the players' contracts that the loans wouldn't have to be repaid.

Other than that, the legislation regarding the use of EBT schemes rendered them not viable from December 2010. Most firms offering such services stopped using them, and to date I am not aware of anybody having any problems with HMRC since. Based on my own experience, HMRC seem to have taken the view that they've closed that particular loophole, and have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                    There's the recent Rangers case, but that seems to have fallen down on the fact that the contracts were't drafted properly, ie that it was written into the players' contracts that the loans wouldn't have to be repaid.

Other than that, the legislation regarding the use of EBT schemes rendered them not viable from December 2010. Most firms offering such services stopped using them, and to date I am not aware of anybody having any problems with HMRC since. Based on my own experience, HMRC seem to have taken the view that they've closed that particular loophole, and have moved on.
                    But this isn't an EBT.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

But this isn't an EBT.
                      Lisa was talking about cases that were concerning EBTs.

Comment

Working...
                      X