• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedouin Tax Solutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captainham View Post
    I have been called many things in my time, but an umbrella, reputable or otherwise, is definitely not one of them!

Yes, I meant the lady with the clue in her user name
    Cheers I'll get in touch with her. Due to my ignorance in the past and the fact I only intended to contract a few months I've never explored the benefits of a Ltd v Umbrella. With travel to London from Edinburgh to now contend with I'm clueless as to what avenue to go down

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Uh huh. And how much did the person who recommended you get paid?

And how much tax have you paid to HMRC (not the same as fees to the provider)?

If you want a better retention then you could always go with this lot
      Regarding the above, my daily rate is £250. For a working week bedouin pay a salary of £232.50, PAYE tax deduction of 15.20, NI 10.38 and employer NI of 12.22

Comment

Originally posted by thebear14 View Post
        Regarding the above, my daily rate is £250. For a working week bedouin pay a salary of £232.50, PAYE tax deduction of 15.20, NI 10.38 and employer NI of 12.22
        Great. So that only leaves £1017.50 undeclared income a week. What could possibly go wrong...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Great. So that only leaves £1017.50 undeclared income a week. What could possibly go wrong...
          Cheers for the constructive input, the question was asked about the tax deductions and I answered. Not 100% sure what else you expected to be honest

Comment

Cheers for the constructive input, the question was asked about the tax deductions and I answered. Not 100% sure what else you expected to be honest
            I think Mal, in his own sweet way, is trying to warn you - essentially you have done the equivalent of taking 80 odd% of your income as 'cash in hand' - HMR&C are clamping down hard on this sort of thing at the moment so you can reasonably expect to receive a letter sometime in the future asking you when your loan was repaid and why you have not paid tax due.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It's a neat illustration of the overall problem. The OP was sold a solution that he had no idea was in any way stpping outside the normal rules of UK taxation, all he saw was the best of a range of returns on his gross. Pointing out he's paying 3% tax on his income when the base rate is 20% should raise questions about exactly how that happens and what is likely to happen when HMRC get around to his case. Clearly it hasn't.

Am I bothered? Well no, not really. But you can see how the marketing of these schemes works so well, can't you.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You do realise if you go with an Umbrella you will be clearing a LOT less a week don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                  You do realise if you go with an Umbrella you will be clearing a LOT less a week don't you?
                  Yep, appreciate that however would rather be clearing less per week just now than be hammered for back taxes in the future

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    I think Mal, in his own sweet way, is trying to warn you - essentially you have done the equivalent of taking 80 odd% of your income as 'cash in hand' - HMR&C are clamping down hard on this sort of thing at the moment so you can reasonably expect to receive a letter sometime in the future asking you when your loan was repaid and why you have not paid tax due.
                    Thanks Lisa, if they get in touch there's nothing I can really do about it now and just be thankful it's only been 5.5 months as opposed to years under the scheme like sum. Will just need to deal with whatever HMRC bring my way

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      But you can see how the marketing of these schemes works so well, can't you.
                      Especially for the promoters charging 10% of gross income.

They are definitely not the mugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X