• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK tax on rental income as a non resident landlord

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Which tend to come out of people giving the tax investigator too much information without the advice of someone legally qualified. Time and time again it's advised on this and other forums to be careful when dealing with tax authorities.

There is a difference between lying, and giving the information requested and no more than that.

Simply give the information requested. Also make sure you have proof to back it up.

If you don't have proof and were not on the electoral roll for the last 6 years from when you took up residence again seek legal advice.
    I agree but there is a fine moral line here surely. I guess it depends on how they word their request. If they ask you to fess up everything you have been doing in relation to your property in the last 4 or 6 years doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. If they ask you a direct question to which you answer that question. What if that question allows you to answer directly as you say but still knowingly hide any wrong doing is that the right thing to do in that situation? Surely 'You didn't ask me that' during a tax evasion investigation isn't going to hold any water.

I would guess the devil is in the details of the investigation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK, hadn't picked up on the 2006 return to UK.

Suggest a simple reply:

(a) property is occasionally let to students under "rent a room"

(b) property was let whilst I lived abroad, however I returned to UK in 2006. Whilst it was let income, after expenses, was below the personal allowance level
      Theres no need to complicate matters or read too much into the request.

I suspect its (a) thats triggered the enquiry rather than (b) but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        OK, hadn't picked up on the 2006 return to UK.

Suggest a simple reply:

Theres no need to complicate matters or read too much into the request.

I suspect its (a) thats triggered the enquiry rather than (b) but you never know.
        Thanks Jessica. I'll go with something along those lines and see if they close or follow up.

Comment

Working...
        X