• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a new business bank account; timescales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a new business bank account; timescales

Hi everyone,

I've just won my first contract (yahoo) starting next week, and am setting up a business bank account for the first time. I've been recommended RBS by my accountant (I think they have some kind of 'special arrangement'), who are telling me that it will take about a week to get the account up and running as I'll need to take my forms into a branch, who will then send them off to be processed. Is this normal? Are there any banks who can process/set up business accounts in branch?

Thanks,
    Robin

I set mine up over the counter, with HSBC. Took about 30 minutes all told. I think it was so quick because I already had a personal current a/c with them.

Don't forget you'll need to have your Limited Co documentation with you.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerdigital View Post
      Hi everyone,

I've just won my first contract (yahoo) starting next week, and am setting up a business bank account for the first time. I've been recommended RBS by my accountant (I think they have some kind of 'special arrangement'), who are telling me that it will take about a week to get the account up and running as I'll need to take my forms into a branch, who will then send them off to be processed. Is this normal? Are there any banks who can process/set up business accounts in branch?

Thanks,
      Robin
      Yeah this is about right, when I set my account up with NatWest it went to a central location (in Wimbledon I think) so it looks like they handle it for the whole RBS group, should be a problem as you won't be submitting your first invoice yet so plenty of time
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Alas none of the banks are that quick. A week is, in fact, pretty good going.

Comment

What HSBC use to do is do a credit check on you there and then, give you an account number and then you would have to wait a week to get stuff like card, cheque book etc in the post/collect at the branch.

However you should phone up whatever bank you decide to use and ask them what ID you need to open a business bank account.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Setup within hours

Cater Allen and HSBC work well for us. Set you up within 30 minutes on the phone for our clients!
            Originally posted by parkerdigital View Post
            Hi everyone,

Thanks,
            Robin

Comment

Originally posted by NimbleJackAccounting View Post
              Cater Allen and HSBC work well for us. Set you up within 30 minutes on the phone for our clients!
              Set up in 30 mins or applied for?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Set up in 30 mins or applied for?
                Application in 30 minutes, then bank send you out pre filled form to sign.

Comment

Yep, our friends at HSBC can open the account about 30mins after a face-to-face meeting. They are the fastest we are aware of. RBS should be able to do it faster than a week - our mates at RBS take 3 days (it was going to be faster once Santander took over.....but that all fell over).

To be fair, depending on your billing cycle, opening a business account in a week is probably OK - you might just need to delay your first invoice a day or two.
                  2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Greg (or anyone else) - has anyone tried Barclays e-synch yet? This is their offering for accountants, and in theory you can apply for a account online, and then book the client a appointment at their nearest branch.

We've got the trial but haven't used it yet, however the indifference of Cater Allen's account opening bods is driving things that way.

Incidentally, for anyone reading this in the future, an accountant dealing with Cater Allen will have a list of pre allocated account numbers - this doesn't speed up the account opening process, but does mean the account number is available at the outset with the paperwork catching up.

Comment

Working...
                    X