• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking assets from a company in administration - advice needed please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I think people are being a bit harsh on the OP here. Certainly, the laptop isn't his, and he does need to return it (which he's said he's doing), but I can certainly understand the sentiment of holding onto it in lieu of wages that were owed but not paid.

I also do agree with the OP in saying "no, if you want the laptop back, you come and collect it or pay for the postage", I do think it's a bit cheeky to expect him to pay for its return. That's just me.

Anyway, he has my sympathy for that situation, and I certainly can see where he's coming from. I do agree with all the advice saying that he should return it, but I also can completely understand why he wanted to hold onto it.
    Understanding and sympathising with his position (which I do, obviously) doesn't make his intial reactions right. A quick reality check was needed, which he seems to have taken on board.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think people are being a bit harsh on the OP here. Certainly, the laptop isn't his, and he does need to return it (which he's said he's doing), but I can certainly understand the sentiment of holding onto it in lieu of wages that were owed but not paid.
      It's one thing if you're already in possession of somebody else's property, but...

Originally posted by Chris79
      When I left the building I took my works laptop with me
      I.e. after being told of the situation, he then had a look around to see what he could nick. And now he's complaining about having to pay to return it of all things.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I also do agree with the OP in saying "no, if you want the laptop back, you come and collect it or pay for the postage", I do think it's a bit cheeky to expect him to pay for its return. That's just me.
        The OP mentioned SC clearance... If he has been working in an SC environment he would be a complete moron to post it back. I would be straight round to hand it in in person and get someone to sign for it just to avoid any risk of it going missing with SC cleared data on it IMO... That type of stuff appears in the papers.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How has this made 3 pages?

When companies goes bust, it sucks. Creditors effectively go through the grieving process. Get to 'acceptance' quickly and move on.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The OP mentioned SC clearance... If he has been working in an SC environment he would be a complete moron to post it back. I would be straight round to hand it in in person and get someone to sign for it just to avoid any risk of it going missing with SC cleared data on it IMO... That type of stuff appears in the papers.
            Exactly.

I emailed them today to say they are welcome to arrange secure collection from my premises.

If I post it, then the responsibility with it lies until they accept and sign for it. If they arrange the courier, then it's not my problem from the minute it leaves my door...

As it happens there's nothing which warrants SC level on the laptop itself and the drive is encrypted, but the principle still stands.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-yo...ey-owed-to-you

Comment

Working...
              X