• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cater Allen Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grr! Client has two companies, it consulting and plan b, both banking with CA. He sets up a third company, plan C I guess - we apply to CA, they don't like the business sector, bounce the account, he complains, they close his other two accounts.

Today's shenanigans - Unimpressed!

Suppose the lesson is be cautious with your sector, as they are picky.

Did similar last year when client moved her home to France whist keeping company in uk - their first response was close accounts (there was, of course, a way around that using a family members address).

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
      Grr! Client has two companies, it consulting and plan b, both banking with CA. He sets up a third company, plan C I guess - we apply to CA, they don't like the business sector, bounce the account, he complains, they close his other two accounts.

Today's shenanigans - Unimpressed!

Suppose the lesson is be cautious with your sector, as they are picky.

Did similar last year when client moved her home to France whist keeping company in uk - their first response was close accounts (there was, of course, a way around that using a family members address).
      Wow, there is cautious and there is ludicrous. You could think they maybe risk averse to some sectors but closing his other accounts down for complaining seems utterly ridiculous. Why the hell would they do that? Don't then need a reason to do that or isn't there something contractual to stop them closing them as they fancy (obviously not but you know what I mean).

That kind of carry on should be made general knowledge so people can avoid them like the plague I would have thought.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

upgrading faster payments?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        So apart from the lack of rapid money transfer, limitations on single transactions, limitations on account balances, complications setting up the account, inconsistent deals on offer depending on who's asking and needing to phone them up to get stuff done, it comes highly recommended then...

Ermm...
        Seems like they are upgrading their faster payments this was displayed when I logged on today not sure if faster means "even faster" or not ....

FASTER PAYMENTS INWARDS - SATURDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 2013

Due to an upgrade to the Faster Payments process, by our correspondent Bank, from 05:00 to 14:00 on Saturday the 9th November 2013, no inward payments will be received into Cater Allen accounts during this period. Any outstanding payments will be credited to your account later in the day. If you have any questions, please contact our Call Centre on 0800 092 3300.
        They are also updating the Debit cards - a new set of cards has been issued, not sure what difference that will make though its annoying to have a new PIN.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I used CA when I first started contracting and never had an issue with them. Got the account via my then accountant so no minimum deposit or fee's and all done quickly and painlessly. Never had a problem with the service, although online banking as a little clunky in the early days. Phone support was second to none. Fast efficient and knowledgable.

Then they got bought out by Santander.

Wouldn't go near them now.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            We already know they don't do faster payments very well...

IMVHO the reasons for using CA are fading rapidly. Best (or least problematic) of the big boys is HSBC
            This is being updated this weekend apparently.

Edit: Oh I see it's already been mentioned
            Last edited by Sausage Surprise; 8 November 2013, 09:39.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

I use CA and they are fine because all I need them to do is look after my lovely company money and sort a payment once in a while.
              As a matter of principle I won't pay a bank to do this, they should be paying me for the privilege of using my cash !!
              A bit of interest would be a nice and fair way, just passed the threshold but the rate is woeful...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                I use CA and they are fine because all I need them to do is look after my lovely company money and sort a payment once in a while.
                As a matter of principle I won't pay a bank to do this, they should be paying me for the privilege of using my cash !!
                A bit of interest would be a nice and fair way, just passed the threshold but the rate is woeful...
                +1. I agree for simplistic business banking and a friendly UK call centre - CA hit the mark.
                Not sure why the new Debit cards though - there wasnt an explanation so I did wonder why this was sent.

Comment

why can't it fill in the title for me?

Originally posted by mlc2009 View Post
                  Hi All,
                  I'm moving from sole trader to LTD, need a new business account. I use barclays.

1/The cater allen offer on this site, is this done purely online or is a meeting needed with an actual person?

2/ How is the online banking area?

3/ Is there a visa debit included?

4/ Is there faster payments?

5/ What is the maximum limit on a single transaction? Daily limit?
                  I have a new CaterAllen account setup in the last 2 months.
                  Answers -
                  1/ No meeting required
                  2/ Fine
                  3/ Yes
                  4/ Not yet. I get a message when logging on saying it's coming soon.
                  5/ I am not aware of one. How big would a transaction need to be for a business bank to not like it??? I guess we're talking money-laundering type volumes.

All is fine with the account.
                  The bizarre thing it does, but is of no concern, is that debit card payments are still pending from over 4 weeks ago. It's no difficulty really, just need to be aware for bank reconciliations.

Do I recommend them? No, cos I don't recommend anything that I've not used a lot and don't fully understand.
                  Do they do what they say on the tin? Yes.

Lance....
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Debit Card refused £26.00

I called EE up and tried to pay £26.00 to them, Cater Allen debit card was refused.

I called CA to find out why apparently the new cards are having problems with some providers and EE is one of them - no known date for resolution known at this time.

I should have asked where else I can't use the card...
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                      I called EE up and tried to pay £26.00 to them, Cater Allen debit card was refused.

I called CA to find out why apparently the new cards are having problems with some providers and EE is one of them - no known date for resolution known at this time.

I should have asked where else I can't use the card...
                      Why not just do a bank transfer?
                      Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                      X