• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last year, I accidentally put my 'cash at bank and in hand' as too high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year, I accidentally put my 'cash at bank and in hand' as too high

I've been a fool. Last year I attempted to do my own abbreviated accounts. Purely accidentally (ended up paying more tax), I listed my 'cash at bank and in hand' as too much.

The Ltd company has less than £1,000 going in/out per year. I put the 'cash at bank and in hand' , as £146 too much. I paid a small amount of corporation tax.

How do I resolve this, for this accounting year? I am now earning a full-time amount so will get an accountant for the next year!

Do I put a modification on the 2nd years? (the year I am currently filing)
    Could I just put an expense of £146? Since I have lost myself money, not HMRC - would this be ok do you think? I’m not very concerned with having paid slightly too much tax.

Thanks (lesson learnt)

Add some extra mileage to your your journey until you have recouped the cash you think you lost and don't go highlighting your failures to HMRC? ;-)
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking about just listing it as a hosting expense or something similar. I'm the one who lost out (a bit), not HMRC, so i don't think it's much of an issue.

Comment

I'd be more worried that your accounts don't add up. Then again its £146. I'd just forget it and after 6 years "poof" HMRC will no longer be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by leonag12 View Post
          Thanks. I was thinking about just listing it as a hosting expense or something similar. I'm the one who lost out (a bit), not HMRC, so i don't think it's much of an issue.
          I'd be more concerned that the accounts don't balance. If you want to rectify it then probably you'd need to submit revised accounts - something the new accountant will advise on if he/she wants your business.

Do not cook the books whatever you believe the company 'owes' you. HMRC would rightly view it as falsifying expenses, in effect fraud.

Either fix the mistake properly or pretend it never happened.

Comment

How did your balance sheet balance? Your cash figure wouldn't have given rise to the CT liability so did you overstate your P&L?

This year's accountant will have the wrong brought forward figures without an adjustment. They should advise you on best course of action

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
              How did your balance sheet balance? Your cash figure wouldn't have given rise to the CT liability so did you overstate your P&L?

This year's accountant will have the wrong brought forward figures without an adjustment. They should advise you on best course of action
              ^ This.

The nature of accounts mean that you can't have one figure wrong without another figure also being wrong as it's all double entry.

Cash balances don't effect CT. Did you also file your own CT return with the wrong profit figures?
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Just another foolish person who thinks that they can do their own Accounts and Tax return? At the end of the day 20% of £146 hardly makes sense in any event. It's going to cost you the best part of £1K to engage an Accountant to untangle the mess and deal with HMRC...
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

For the amounts involved, you can probably adjust it this year? I doubt anyone at HMRC would loose much sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                    How did your balance sheet balance?
                    When I did accountancy in my first year at university, most of my balance sheets didn't balance. Nor did the trial balances.

That's why I pay an accountant now.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X