• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving accountants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving accountants?

Hi all,

Looking to move from SJD to Nixon Williams, is this normally a straight forward move? I have just reached the end of my company year.

I take it I would just email my current accountant and inform him that I would like to move and then start paying NW?
    Last edited by Datalink; 2 December 2013, 19:36.

Don't be surprised when are expected to pay your full year to SJD despite leaving them. You are not charged per month, you paying monthly for a yearly charge. Does get some people wound up. Dunno if you can negotiate with them or what but don't expect the payments just to stop the month you want to leave. Expecting it stops it stinging.

The two accountants should work together to hand over smoothly. Am sure NW have done this exact process before and I am sure SJD have as well so shouldn't be a problem.

I would speak to NW about the exact process and take guidance from them.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi, thanks. I started with SJD a year ago, so I am going to assume that my year is up and I am free to move, like finishing a phone contract etc.

Comment

The bulk of the work is at the end of the year so there's no reason for them to charge you for the whole year. If anything you've partly paid for a service you're not using.

I left SJD partly through a year when I went perm, and they were extremely helpful and reasonable about it, but then I wasn't going to a competitor.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Should I talk to my accountant first, or to the admin people at the office? Not really sure how to go about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Datalink View Post
            Should I talk to my accountant first, or to the admin people at the office? Not really sure how to go about this.
            Talk to NW. They will manage the process on your behalf. Just like SJD did for me in 2001...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Both of them, all of them. Anyone you need to to be happy with the situation. If everyone says the same thing then you are sorted.

Comment

Okay thanks, I will send an email tomorrow.

Comment

Okay thanks, I will send an email tomorrow.
                  Erm, wouldn't it be better to ring them?

Comment

Hello, if you have not already made contact with us then please do and we can discuss the transfer process. We do this all the time so it is rarely a problem and we handle most of the process for you.

Although some other accountants make their clients pay for a full year, we only ask for 1 month's notice should you wish to leave us, as we are confident that you will be pleased with the service that we provide.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X