• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-assessment: Pension question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-assessment: Pension question

I was a perm for a small portion of 2012/13 and my employer deducted salary sacrifice pension contributions via PAYE.

Do I need to declare those amounts on TR4 box 1 of my self-assessment?

No. Not if salary sacrifice. They should have been employer contributions. You get the relief because they have reduced your gross salary.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
      I was a perm for a small portion of 2012/13 and my employer deducted salary sacrifice pension contributions via PAYE.

Do I need to declare those amounts on TR4 box 1 of my self-assessment?
      Just so its clear (because I have seen employers do it both ways), so long as the pension was deducted from your gross pay, you don't declare it in your personal tax return. For example, if your gross salary was £1,000, and your employer made a pension contribution of £100, your taxable pay for the period as per your payslip would be £900.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
      X