• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floor damaged during delivery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get quotes, see what they are. See what they respond with. Argue it if you aren't happy.

Work out what you would settle on and negotiate as much as you can.

If you aren't happy, then many newspapers do a consumer rights column - The Guardian one got my sister a significantly increased compensation offer from one company, so that's who I'd turn to for help and advice
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Podgy View Post
      How big are the chips!! you can get coloured grout that could cover? or a nice mat?

No matter how much £ you get your not seriously going to retile the whole lot are you? why not just go for the rustic look.

I'm sure you/any workman could source the tiles on the internet?
      Issue is that since they are cracked all the way across they will eventually crumble. Trying to patch them up with grout is not a long term solution.

Matching tiles which are patterned synthetic slate will be a bit of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Dishwasher was dropped during delivery cracking 3 floor tiles and chipping them. The floor is a continuous floor through kitchen, utility room and stairwell.

Delivery man signed the delivery slip acknowledging the incident.

I have emailed the suppliers saying "how are you going to address this" and await their reply.

My reaction is that to properly make good the entire floor needs to be replaced. [I should end up in the same position as I would have been were it not for their negligence]

However my reaction is that this is unlikely to be met with any great (couple of grand I expect) enthusiasm.

Any suggestions/experience ?

Somthing fairly similar happend to us but it was a fridge freezer and a wooden floor. I wasn't watching as the delivery guy dragged it through the house carving up the wooden flooring in two rooms. I poitned it out and was told to get in contact with the appropriate departement at John Lewis.

I did so and they sent out an investigator to look at the damage, agreed that to put it right they woul dhave to re-do the flooring in the ground floor of the whole place, but also pointed out that the wooden floor would get scratched along the way anyway. In the end they wrote back offering a payment equivalent to the cost of the fridge freezer and we accepted.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

In the end the entire floor was replaced because the difference was striking
          I find never bothering to clean a floor soon sorts such issues.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Are there any tiles you could move to make good the damaged ones?

From under the fridge/freezer/dishwasher etc. You could then put the cracked ones there.

Comment

Well, they have made an initial offer of 50 quid. Duly refused and requested they send their insurers round. Will see how it ends up. Eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Well, they have made an initial offer of 50 quid. Duly refused and requested they send their insurers round. Will see how it ends up. Eventually.
                Was that with or without prejudice. If it wasn't without prejudice then they have admitted its their fault

See Practical Law
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Was that with or without prejudice. If it wasn't without prejudice then they have admitted its their fault

See Practical Law
                  The offer was made without reference to "without prejudice" also without reference to "no admission of liability".

My recollection is that making an offer to settle does not of itself constitute any admission of liability.

But it is an indication that liability isn't going to be contentious. (Photos and an acknowledgement they dropped it and cracked the tiles helps in that area somewhat).

Comment

Currys, the trading name of DSG Retail Limited, is duty-bound to provide services to consumers using "reasonable care and skill". This extends to the delivery men.

I would advise that you contact their insurance claims department (which it seems you have done) and tell them what happened.

Make sure you have a copy of the delivery note where the delivery person admitted it was their fault, and take pictures asap so they cannot allege damage is subsequent to them dropping the item.

If you have time before any loss adjuster visits, get three quotes - if the tiles cannot be sourced and a new floor is required, get this put on the quote(s).

As an aside - will your home insurance cover this if they only make a token offer ? Does your home insurance include any sort of legal assistance that can take them on for you ? Worth looking into to.

Before a letter before action you must allow them to attempt to reach a resolution with you, so please wait for someone from their insurance department to assess the damage ( as long as they don't take an unreasonable amount of time that is).

As another aside, worth posting your problem on their facebook page to get some attention if they are slow to respond

HTH
                    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Good advice, and all I progress. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X