• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RTI - Service Comnapy Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Why do you think that advice is incorrect Spartan? I would have thought that most or all contractors would answer yes according to the parameters of the questions - most or all income would be derived from the services of the individual and the contractual arrangements would be as shown
    Regardless of whether or not we consider ourselves "personal services companies" (which arguably most of our companies are), that doesn't appear to be what the question is asking to me. It's asking if we've "operated" IR35 or MSC legislation. Without defining "operated". Does it simply mean you've considered it and decided it doesn't apply? Or does it mean you've operated one or more of your contracts as inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
      As there is no legal definition of a service company, isn't the nature of it open to interpretation
      There is no legal definition but if HMRC have their own definition, and it's an HMRC question, then I suppose it follows that that is the definition to base your answer on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Regardless of whether or not we consider ourselves "personal services companies" (which arguably most of our companies are), that doesn't appear to be what the question is asking to me. It's asking if we've "operated" IR35 or MSC legislation. Without defining "operated". Does it simply mean you've considered it and decided it doesn't apply? Or does it mean you've operated one or more of your contracts as inside IR35?
        I have checked with HMRC a couple of months ago and they said the latter - if you have operated IR35 (and made a deemed payment) then you should say yes to the question, otherwise it should be no.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
          I have checked with HMRC a couple of months ago and they said the latter - if you have operated IR35 (and made a deemed payment) then you should say yes to the question, otherwise it should be no.

Craig
          Thanks Craig, useful to know (although I'll double-check with my own accountant too). I assume the SAR questions for 2013-14 will remain unchanged?

Comment

Thanks Craig, useful to know (although I'll double-check with my own accountant too). I assume the SAR questions for 2013-14 will remain unchanged?
            It's here under Final Submission for the tax year:

HM Revenue & Customs: What to report

There's a difference between your accountant asking you if you're a service company, which is a question of fact, and the rather misleading HMRC question which means more than it actually reads!
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              There's a difference between your accountant asking you if you're a service company, which is a question of fact, and the rather misleading HMRC question which means more than it actually reads!
              I must have misunderstood, was the quote in OP something InTouch sent then? I was under the impression he was quoting the submission form.

Comment

I must have misunderstood, was the quote in OP something InTouch sent then? I was under the impression he was quoting the submission form.
                I think the thread was a mix of the two!
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

The quote was verbatim from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools Software (RTI). Sorry, should have been clearer.

Comment

I need to answer the RTI question as well - I'll be putting "No".

My contracts are IR35 OK but my actual working practices may not be - at a level just above support monkey, it's hard to avoid Direction and Control.

To mitigate this, I pay small salary and put most of the rest in a pension. What's left, after expenses, is only a few percent - possibly within the IR35 5%.

However, I don't operate the legislation and I don't calculate any deemed payment - so the answer is "No"

It's stupidly written legislation and each iteration of the question makes it worse.

Comment

Just think of it as a conditional statement ...

answer = (isPSC && insideIR35);

So you have to be both in order to answer "yes", I would think.

IANAA but I think it would be hard for HMRC to dispute this line of reasoning. If they want more precise responses they need to be asking 2 separate questions ...

Comment

Working...
                      X