• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renumeration trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renumeration trusts

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, as I was looking at something called renumeration trust......

1) Is renumeration trust the same EBT?
    2) Is it illegal?, if so why are companies still offering it as an efficient vehicle to reduce tax ...?
    3) Is it OK if the renumeration trust is based on prior year retained earnings? rather current year profits liable to Corp Tax

Thanks

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, as I was looking at something called renumeration trust......

2) Is it illegal?, if so why are companies still offering it as an efficient vehicle to reduce tax ...?
    3) Is it OK if the renumeration trust is based on prior year retained earnings? rather current year profits liable to Corp Tax

Thanks

css_jay99
    New to what? Being a sockie? Well you've made an excellent start.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...take-home.html

Comment

I've moved the 1st post as it had no reason to be in an EBT thread.

I've kept the 2nd post as I considered it a valid response - and the link was appropriate too...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

remuneration

Comment

As always, the question is not "Are they legal", since they are, but "Am I allowed to use them in this manner", which, probably, is not.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As mal says, legal is a wrong word. The question simply becomes whether they are effective and achieve stated aims.

As far as I am aware there is no such vehicle as a remuneration trust. It will be a discretionary trust of some description and governed by the appropiate legislation.

it is unclear what you expect to achieve.

If paying in retained profits these have been subjected to ct. So no benefit unless trying to reclaim ct. This would be potentially available.

When paying out trust funds this is then taxable based on what they are and what legislation then applies.

so potentially there is a tax saving.

but then im sure my partner would sleep with george clooney for a million quid.

potentially shes a millionaire. But in reality .....

Comment

With all these 'investment' vehicles follow the process below to see how the saving actually works if you have the ability to do your own shoelaces without help...

Calculate the potential saving
              Double the result (2 x multiplier for the fine)

This is the total saving you will make by NOT using it.

HTH.
              Last edited by tractor; 12 April 2014, 06:32.

Comment

Please don't

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                Hi guys,

Thanks

css_jay99
                These are expensive things to run, the scheme will take <15%, pay HMRC minimal tax and transfer a lot of money into your account.

You will be happy, it's minimal hassle and you'll sleep at night.

Then HMRC will come calling, it won't matter if, at the finer level of law, the scheme is effective or not -the GAAR will probably, at some point, rule it as an avoidance scheme. The fact that these schemes have been running for 20 years will not stop HMRC addressing them at some point.

HMRC will pursue you and you will pay them a lot of money. You may, one day, get your day in court - but by that point you will have lost your house.

For a flavour of what will happen, read all the posts under scheme enquiries. If anyone joins one of these schemes after reading the posts there, then they are truly , truly f***ing stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                  If anyone joins one of these schemes after reading the posts there, then they are truly , truly f***ing stupid.
                  Yes but they could always appeal to a tribunal on the grounds of mental incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    but then im sure my partner would sleep with george clooney for a million quid.

potentially shes a millionaire. But in reality .....
                    He doesn't pay that well. £10K a month is the going rate or so I'm told.
                    :O)
                    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                    "See?"

Comment

Working...
                    X