• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends and salary - to the same bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dty View Post
    FA just did something quite scary with my Smart User Payment. I made a payment which it allocated partly to expenses and partly to dividend. So far, so good. I printed the divi voucher, signed it and filed it. Then I noticed I'd missed some expenses from before the payment date. So I entered those expecting that they would just accrue on the expense account for payment next month, but no! FA adjusted the expenses/dividend split of my Smart User Payment without telling me or warning me! So suddenly my divi voucher was wrong! Good job I spotted that.
    Let Freeagent know, hopefully they'll then realise the system is scary and change it!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I've used their support (directly or via their forums) 3 or 4 times now, and I'm not exactly impressed!

Comment

FA just did something quite scary with my Smart User Payment. I made a payment which it allocated partly to expenses and partly to dividend. So far, so good. I printed the divi voucher, signed it and filed it. Then I noticed I'd missed some expenses from before the payment date. So I entered those expecting that they would just accrue on the expense account for payment next month, but no! FA adjusted the expenses/dividend split of my Smart User Payment without telling me or warning me! So suddenly my divi voucher was wrong! Good job I spotted that.
        Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        I found that really odd in Freeagent, so glad it's not just me. I had a client who paid equal dividends, but because expenses and salary were unequal Freeagent had done some bizarre behind the scenes adjustment, seemingly without him being aware, that made the dividends uneven. Very odd, and resulted in the SA comp being totally wrong on Freeagent.
        Indeed. Two prime examples of situations where the smart user payments aren't so smart. Both situations we've seen multiple times unfortunately.

Re the multiple shareholders thing, it's not that FreeAgent does any clever behind the scenes adjustments for smart user payments. It's just that it splits the payment based on any debts already owed to the individual first, with the balance going to dividends. Like you suggest, if expense balances are different (as they often are) then dividends will be split differently too.

...and yes, seemingly smart user payments remain flexible...so you make the payment, and it splits it based upon things at that date in FreeAgent. Then a while later, you add in some additional backdated expenses, and suddenly your dividends drawn has changed. Not good.

FreeAgent's understandable stance is that the smart user payment feature is only an option, nobody's obliged to use it. You can of course specifically state £X expenses, £Y salary, £Z dividends. I do wish it wasn't there as an option in the first place though.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          FreeAgent's understandable stance is that the smart user payment feature is only an option, nobody's obliged to use it. You can of course specifically state £X expenses, £Y salary, £Z dividends. I do wish it wasn't there as an option in the first place though.
          Except you can't! You can't split transaction and you can't move money between arbitrary accounts.

In this case, you'd have to record 3 separate transactions (instead of one transaction debiting the bank account and crediting expenses, dividends and payroll). So now you have 3 entries on your bank account and 2 choices: either make multiple physical payments to match (extra bank fees) or else make a single payment (awkward to reconcile back to the books).

Comment

Except you can't! You can't split transaction and you can't move money between arbitrary accounts.
            You can split a transaction, just overtype the amount and allocate to one category, then FreeAgent will leave the balance unexplained for you to explain somewhere else (or repeat). Basically same as this method.

Comment

This query may originate from discussions over whether it is OK to pay dividends to a spouse shareholder into a bank account over which you have control. I forget the answer and whether a joint bank account matters.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                You can split a transaction, just overtype the amount and allocate to one category, then FreeAgent will leave the balance unexplained for you to explain somewhere else (or repeat). Basically same as this method.
                That's just creating multiple entries in the books though, no? At least, that's how FA support described it to me. Anyway... this is all very off topic! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  This query may originate from discussions over whether it is OK to pay dividends to a spouse shareholder into a bank account over which you have control. I forget the answer and whether a joint bank account matters.
                  A joint account is fine, provided you have the paperwork to show what the transaction is.

If you're paying your wife's dividends into your own personal account and never allowing her access I can see HMRC may have concerns, but presumably if she gives consent then there's little to be done (if you have shares in Apple do they check what account you've asked them to pay dividends into?). I'd still advise doing things properly though.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    At the risk of continuing this on topic discussion...

Some people have argued that paying into a joint account shows that you have a retained interest in the money. Personally, I'd like to think that a decent lawyer would be able to argue that point with HMRC, if there is the right paperwork in place.

My company pays any dividends into separate accounts - mine go into an account solely in my name; dividends for my wife goes into an account which is in joint names. But that's because we get better interest in there than anywhere else.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      At the risk of continuing this on topic discussion...

Some people have argued that paying into a joint account shows that you have a retained interest in the money. Personally, I'd like to think that a decent lawyer would be able to argue that point with HMRC, if there is the right paperwork in place.

My company pays any dividends into separate accounts - mine go into an account solely in my name; dividends for my wife goes into an account which is in joint names. But that's because we get better interest in there than anywhere else.
                      I think that's fine.

Having a retained interest doesn't matter if you're married. If you're not, then it's an indication that the Settlements Legislation could apply.

In order to be a Settlement it must be cover the three criteria - Retained interest, bounty, arrangement. But there's then an exemption for outright gifts between spouses provided it's not merely a right to income (so careful of B shares that have no voting rights or rights to capital).

Comment

Working...
                      X