• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Dale Farm protester get a payout?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Dale Farm protester get a payout?

BBC News - Dale Farm protester Ellen Yianni gets police payout

A woman who protested against the eviction of travellers at Dale Farm in Essex has been awarded £15,000 by police for assault and wrongful arrest.

Ellen Yianni, 29, from Hounslow, south-west London, had been acting as a "medic's buddy" during the site clearance near Basildon in 2011.

Civil liberties law firm Hodge Jones & Allen, which represented Ms Yianni, said she had tried to climb a scaffolding tower at the entrance of Dale Farm because she "felt scared" of riot police below.

She was later arrested for refusing to remove a scarf from her face, which the law firm claimed she was wearing because it was cold - not to conceal her identity.
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    41.67%
    AndyW's mum deserves a payout
    25.00%

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - Dale Farm protester Ellen Yianni gets police payout

A woman who protested against the eviction of travellers at Dale Farm in Essex has been awarded £15,000 by police for assault and wrongful arrest.

Ellen Yianni, 29, from Hounslow, south-west London, had been acting as a "medic's buddy" during the site clearance near Basildon in 2011.

Civil liberties law firm Hodge Jones & Allen, which represented Ms Yianni, said she had tried to climb a scaffolding tower at the entrance of Dale Farm because she "felt scared" of riot police below.

She was later arrested for refusing to remove a scarf from her face, which the law firm claimed she was wearing because it was cold - not to conceal her identity.
    Don't forget:

She was grabbed by two officers, who pulled her from the scaffolding and threw her down a steep ramp, where she was hit by a shield to the back of the knees, it said in a statement.
    Sounds like she and the police had their day in court and she won.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Bunch of tax dodging scum! ...oh wait a minute.

Comment

Brillo, if you're gonna selectively snip out sentences from an article, you may as well just point us to the daily mail version.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Brillo, if you're gonna selectively snip out sentences from an article, you may as well just point us to the daily mail version.
          It works for his self-assessment.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

I think £15,000 should be deducted from the settlement to help pay for the policing effort. Also for the fact that she's a <snip>

I still would though. Would Mitch?
            Last edited by administrator; 3 July 2014, 15:28. Reason: Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              Sounds like she and the police had their day in court and she won.
              Did not go to court. It said Essex Police did not admit liability but had settled the claim, agreeing to pay Ms Yianni £15,000.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Or I could just have told you how much her house was worth.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Did not go to court. It said Essex Police did not admit liability but had settled the claim, agreeing to pay Ms Yianni £15,000.
                Fair enough. So I guess they thought they'd lose.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  I think £15,000 should be deducted from the settlement to help pay for the policing effort. Also for the fact that she's a pikey bitch

I still would though. Would Mitch?
                  The voice of UKIP. Why don't you crawl back into the 1950's?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    Fair enough. So I guess they thought they'd lose.
                    Or cheaper to pay up rather than go to court, win, then not be able to recover legal fees?

I am strongly in favour of protesting. And very much against police violence. But if people protest they really should own up. And I despise the culture that tells you to call a lawyer before an ambulance.

Comment

Working...
                    X