• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comics for Grown Ups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comics for Grown Ups

I used to be an avid reader in my youth (mostly the standard Marvel and DC stuff) but it fell by the wayside as I left my teens. Recently started up again and I must say they've changed a lot since my day! So far I have got through 100 issues of the Walking Dead (much darker that the excellent TV series), a load of 2000ADs back catalogue, and a bunch of stuff by Garth Ennis and Alan Moore, am currently reading Preacher, its excellent and very dark (as was Ennis' other works 'The Boys' and 'Crossed'), any readers out there? Recommendations for what to reach out for when I get to Issue 66 of Preacher?

Ta,

_
    _
    _
    _
    _

<---

Edit: Although I assume you've read it already.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      _
      _
      _
      _
      _

<---

Edit: Although I assume you've read it already.
      Aah yes one of the first ones I picked up

Comment

I've got all the SPAWN comics on my iPhone
        "And that's not a euphemism for Bukkake Mags"

Comment

Something a little more lighthearted

Girl Genius
          Epic, and funny, gaslamp fantasy/steampunkish adventures...... FOR SCIENCE!

.... we recommend Girl Genius for an audience of teens and up. Why? Wel, let's see.....we have lots of running around in Victorian underwear, ocasional inuendo, a certain amount of violence and the occasional "damn!" Wil this deprive us of future happy meal toys? Probably. Are we having fun making our story our own way? Oh, yes!...
          Ignore the pages for the last couple of days, they have a guest artist in doing a one off story. Start from the beginning.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Any one remember Wicked Wanda? Can't recall the publication name, but my Dad used to keep them on top of his wardrobe.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              I used to be an avid reader in my youth (mostly the standard Marvel and DC stuff) but it fell by the wayside as I left my teens. Recently started up again and I must say they've changed a lot since my day! So far I have got through 100 issues of the Walking Dead (much darker that the excellent TV series), a load of 2000ADs back catalogue, and a bunch of stuff by Garth Ennis and Alan Moore, am currently reading Preacher, its excellent and very dark (as was Ennis' other works 'The Boys' and 'Crossed'), any readers out there? Recommendations for what to reach out for when I get to Issue 66 of Preacher?

Ta,
              Also, if you can find them, I highly recommend the Adventures of Luther Arkwright by Bryan Talbot. Seriously grown up stuff from 30 years ago. I've still got the full set in a box somewhere.
              Last edited by DaveB; 15 August 2014, 15:05.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Also, if you can find them, I highly recommend the Adventures of Luther Arkwright by Bryan Talbot. Seriously grown up stuff from 30 years ago. I've still got the full set in a box somewhere.
                Aah Brian Talbot, he used to illustrate a fave of mine from 2000AD back in day, Nemesis the Warlock!

Comment

Whizzer and Chips
                  Cor!
                  Buster
                  The Topper
                  The Beezer

Now, those are proper comics. Probably not very grown up though.

Incidentally, is it my imagination or were the Topper and Beezer broadsheet comics?

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                    Whizzer and Chips
                    Cor!
                    Buster
                    The Topper
                    The Beezer

Now, those are proper comics. Probably not very grown up though.

Incidentally, is it my imagination or were the Topper and Beezer broadsheet comics?
                    Aah yes mini the minx and the bash street kids, happy days! Is Viz still going used to love that, Johnny FartPants, Roger Mellie, Sid the Sexist and the Fat slags, quality

Comment

Working...
                    X